Fanuc Robot, Devicenet, Turck - TRYING to make it all one happy family

produktion

The station is very simple. One robot and one group of I/O.

The robot is the master on the Devicenet bus, with just a connection to the Turck gateway. I believe the robot is seeing the gateway, since it found it when I did a query with the robot. The Devicenet card is configured to Rack 82 of the robot controller. And it will come online fine.

But, I keep getting an invalid state when I try to configure the I/O for the robot.

The Turck parts are...

BL67 GW-DN (gateway)
2AI-I (2 analog inputs, not used)
2AI-I (another 2 analog inputs, both used)
8DO-0.5A-P (8 digital outputs, not used)
8DI-P (8 digital inputs, 2 used)

I am using two lazer sensors that send a digital signal back that the detection is within range... and I can see the digital input toggling fine on the card.

There is also a analog input that is the exact location of the part being detected. The analog card that this is connected to has the red diagnostics light blinking. Actually both the cards do.

I have the baud rate set correct, and the devicenet node is 40 and this should be fine also.

Here is the Turck setup.
station_setup.jpg

Here is from I/O assistant from turck.
station_io.jpg

Where I am at is trying to get the robot to recognize the I/O... I tried to set up the digital inputs, and I THINK that is ok... but the analog just is not working right for me.

I am trying to get the connection cable for the Turck so I can read the diagnostics on it.

Last edited:
There is a SET button under the cover on the BL67 where you tell it that the stuff you have plugged into it should be "set" to that gateway. To do this hold down that little BLACK button under the lid for 10 seconds and the BL67 should go through a "set" procedure. After this the gateway is now programmed to the I/O slices that are connected to the node. See if this corrects the problem. I am investigation some other options.

Joe_WaZoo

Ok, I had reset the BL67 using the button. I still get the red diagnostics LED flashing on the two analog input modules.

I have devicenet running with the robot.

But, when I look to the robot to see a change of state for the I/O... all I can see is in the analog inputs... the second analog in will stay '3' with the sensors not triggering on anything. When I trigger one of the laser sensors, it will turn to a '2' and when I trigger the other one it will turn to a '1'. Both, it will turn to a '0'.

So... I am thinking that maybe this is the digital input coming back and I am trying to view it as an analog input maybe?

Since I am actually only using one analog input module and one digital inpout module, I am going to remove the ones that are not used and try to reassign the gateway in the robot controller to see just what is needed. Actually I will probably start with just one of the modules to get it going. This will make the trouble shooting a little easier when trying to assign the address range in the robot... I think.

I am also going to try to get my hands on a PS2 to RS232 cable to read the diagnostics off the BL67 gateway.

So, I think I may be down to assigning addresses in the Fanuc robot... which seems to be a pain so far.

After I remove all but one of the input modules connected to the gateway... can I just hit that reset button on the gateway and all should be reconfigured? Or do I HAVE to hook a computer up to it to set it up?

Do you have the little PS2 to COM DB9 cable that will plug into the front of the BL67 node to go Online with IO_Assistant?

Joe_WaZoo

No, I dont have it yet. I am going to get one ordered today. I was looking all over for one locally yesterday and didnt come up with one. I even tried to find a PS2 extension cable and then a converter plug... but no luck. Only the PS2 extension cable.

The part number for the cable needed from TURCK is XN-PS2-CABLE. The Price is $16.80 and they have 40 on the shelf. Call your local distributor and place an order with them.

Joe_WaZoo

Joe_WaZoo said:
The part number for the cable needed from TURCK is XN-PS2-CABLE. The Price is $16.80 and they have 40 on the shelf. Call your local distributor and place an order with them.

Joe_WaZoo

Ok, thanks. I should have a cable in not too long.

I actually have changed some settting in the robot and it looks like the laser wiring is all good now, and the devicenet connection is good. And also the Turck is acting as expected, no leds blinking.

Now, I just have an issue with addressing in the robot still. I can only see one analog input... I cant get the range set correct to get the second one to display also. I am sure the switch is working, because with one setting I have the analog inputs in the digital range and saw the digital inputs change when I triggered the switch.

One problem after another.

When you get this XN cable, plug it into your DB9 comm port on your latop and the other PS2 end into the BL67 gateway. Then go OnLine with the IO_Assistant software and check the configurations for those two analog channels. It could be that they are set differently from how you want them to work. Or the second channel could be turn OFF via the software so you simply need to Enable it.

Thanks,
Joe_WaZoo

Turned out the Turck was working fine. I still have the cable on the way though.

I never could get both the analog inputs to be shown correctly in the analog portion of the robot. I ended up putting all the inputs into digital... then grouping the digital and displaying it by group inputs. Not the way I wanted originally, but it works. Finally!!!

Now, onto the next project.

Hell... I sure learned a lot about robots doing this!

Thanks for the help.