GML Commander and Windows

WildeKurt

I've recently inherited a few 1394-based machines. I understand the 1394 series is now obsolete. We do have some spares. However, I'm pretty sure I'd need the software GML Commander to support it. I'm told by our supplier GML Commander was DOS based and has problems running on new Windows operating systems (XP and 7). Anyone have experience running it on Windows PC's? Thanks

I ran GML Commander version 4.03 successfully on Windows 2000 systems. I would expect it can work with Windows XP, too, but I haven't tried that personally.

I specialize in conversion of GML programs, should you need to upgrade the machines. The 1394 controller, drives, and 1326 motors are tough to support. Contact me if you need a quote or just want to talk.

I used GML 3.9.1 to connect IMC S Class.

IMC S Class Compact
4 Axis Motion Controller
Options: Remote I/O,Axislink
Firmware Revision: 303103.5B
Serial Number: LE0FBDJY
Catalog Number: 4100-234-RL Series J

Can I use GML Commander V4.03 to convert GML 3.9.1 program and connect to IMC?

I used GML 3.9.1 to connect IMC S Class.

IMC S Class Compact
4 Axis Motion Controller
Options: Remote I/O,Axislink
Firmware Revision: 303103.5B
Serial Number: LE0FBDJY
Catalog Number: 4100-234-RL Series J

Can I use GML Commander V4.03 to convert GML 3.9.1 program and connect to IMC?
YES- just be sure to go to CONFIGURE / CONTROL OPTIONS / iCODE Version and pick the correct iCODE version for your IMC S Class. IN this case - 3.5. All will be great.

YES- just be sure to go to CONFIGURE / CONTROL OPTIONS / iCODE Version and pick the correct iCODE version for your IMC S Class. IN this case - 3.5. All will be great.

The nameplate shows "Firmware Revision: 303103.5B". But In GML 3.9.1 shows the iCode Version is 3.3 Compact /1394 (Menu Definitions -> Control Options -> 3.3 Compact /1394 being checked ). What should I use?

I would go with the nearest revision in software below your ICode sticker. If you use a software to develop script with an Icode too new, it may not produce the expected results when loaded into an older controller. AFAIK, the ICode was backward compatible within major revisions.

I am not sure if your nameplate should be trusted, only if you broke the seal on new Rockwell Automation packaging...no red stickers... I would look for the Icode label on the (PROM?) chip in the S-Class. They are pretty easy to disassemble and reassemble.

Then, I would find the serial baud rate and go online, upload all setups, and upload a script before proceeding with any download.

You cannot upload a diagram, but your offline diagram may match the running program. The terminal window may warn you that the online program does not match the offline program when you connect. This is not necessarily always due to actual logic changes, but is a red flag to look for. Bottom line, to preserve the existing code, upload and save a script AND the setups and variables files so that you can restore an identical unit in the future.

For making future edits, I would be very careful to ensure that the running program does indeed match the one you are about to download.

It has been about 7 years since I saw Commander 4.03, but I do believe that there is a system variable even in the s-class, that will accurately report software revision level while online.

There are also things to be wary of, like being online in a tuning window and looking at offline values. (there is a thread here with pictures ~2005). And there are some tricks to getting those values in the online diagram reflected in an offline diagram, so that the tuning values and variable tables could be kept intact when writing new GML code. I really like GML for multi-tasking motion programming...the top down gui design, being able to visually see the tasks, encapsulate them into tidy little flow diagrams...cool stuff...just needed some polishing touches.

It is possible to reverse engineer a GML diagram from the uploaded script, and then generate a new GML diagram, but it is a tedious manual operation. Documentation on that script language was scarce, last I chek'd.

If you have a known, trusted, and working GML 3.9x diagram, then you should have no problems, but I still recommend visiting all the tuning values and motion dynamics pages and looking for that little green tickbox.

Last edited:
I would go with the nearest revision in software below your ICode sticker. If you use a software to develop script with an Icode too new, it may not produce the expected results when loaded into an older controller. AFAIK, the ICode was backward compatible within major revisions.
In our V3.9.1's GML program, they chose iCode 3.3 Compact /1394 instead of what the sticker on the cover wrote Firmware Revision: 303103.5B.
I can't find any doc about the explanation of '303103.5B'. I have no idea what is the meaning.

I am not sure if your nameplate should be trusted, only if you broke the seal on new Rockwell Automation packaging...no red stickers... I would look for the Icode label on the (PROM?) chip in the S-Class. They are pretty easy to disassemble and reassemble.

Then, I would find the serial baud rate and go online, upload all setups, and upload a script before proceeding with any download.

I will try to check.;)

You cannot upload a diagram, but your offline diagram may match the running program. The terminal window may warn you that the online program does not match the offline program when you connect. This is not necessarily always due to actual logic changes, but is a red flag to look for. Bottom line, to preserve the existing code, upload and save a script AND the setups and variables files so that you can restore an identical unit in the future.

For making future edits, I would be very careful to ensure that the running program does indeed match the one you are about to download.
Thanks,sir. I will keep in mind.

It has been about 7 years since I saw Commander 4.03, but I do believe that there is a system variable even in the s-class, that will accurately report software revision level while online.

There are also things to be wary of, like being online in a tuning window and looking at offline values. (there is a thread here with pictures ~2005). And there are some tricks to getting those values in the online diagram reflected in an offline diagram, so that the tuning values and variable tables could be kept intact when writing new GML code. I really like GML for multi-tasking motion programming...the top down gui design, being able to visually see the tasks, encapsulate them into tidy little flow diagrams...cool stuff...just needed some polishing touches.
GML is a nice program with graphical interface from the 1990’s. Do you know what is the substitute from AB/Rockwell? they are obsolete
I am learning DeltaMotion's RMC150 and trying to figure out how to replace IMC to control our existing HR2000 inverters and motors. Bad news is that HR2000 is obsolete also.o_O

If you have a known, trusted, and working GML 3.9x diagram, then you should have no problems, but I still recommend visiting all the tuning values and motion dynamics pages and looking for that little green tickbox.
We used GML V3.9.1.
Another question for you:
Can I use GML Commander V4.03 to open my GML V3.9.1 program without any modifications and connect (on line) to IMC S Class via RS232 cable?

I read GML Commander V4.03's latest update information. It says:

Version 4.03 is compatible With the following Motion Control Firmware:

1394 Turbo GMC System iCODE Firmware: V3.5 to V3.9
1394 GMC System iCODE Firmware: V3.0 to V3.9
1394L GMC System iCODE Firmware: v3.9
Compact IMCS/23x iCODE Firmware: V3.0 to V3.9
IMCS/20x and S/21x iCODE Firmware: V2.3 or V2.4

My system is IMC Compact S Class 4100-234-RL. That means GMC V4.03 is compatible with my GML V3.9.1 program and my IMC hardware. Right?

Hi
I have problem with 1394 motion controller.
1394 Digital AC Multi-Axis
according to manual I have to re-download program to controller. I don't have original program but we have two same machine. I want to upload program from correct machine and download it to faulted machine.
Is it possible to upload hole program from controller?
I can online with controller but I couldn't upload program from controller.
how I can upload hole program from controller?