FactoryTalk View Site Edition

IdealDan

Hi Guys,

I have only worked with FactoryTalk View Machine Edition (HMI) and I have been longing to lay my hands on FactoryTalk View Site Edition,
Is there a demo version for SE?
I will appreciate if anyone amongst us here could be kind to help out on this, either demo version or old version just for Practice purposes only.
[email protected]

I look forward to a support on this one.
Regards and thanks in advance

Contact your AB representative... if they can't help you, download Ignition off of their website and remember that whenever you get to choose a SCADA platform.

we have a site edition and here is what i know.
the site edition is a pc with the factory talk software installed.
you can only modify the program on that terminal and you prevent others from using it while editing. my boss has been trying to figure out a way to get the application onto the laptop, no success yet.

i use the factory talk apps on my laptop to help me debug what is going on with the plc when it won't run. that's a big help. i cannot do this on the site edition when everyone else is using the terminal to get the machine running again.
We hate it, but it was necessary at the tie for a program we had to run.
we now have a better solution using the plc.
regards,
james

we have a site edition and here is what i know.
the site edition is a pc with the factory talk software installed.
you can only modify the program on that terminal and you prevent others from using it while editing. my boss has been trying to figure out a way to get the application onto the laptop, no success yet.

i use the factory talk apps on my laptop to help me debug what is going on with the plc when it won't run. that's a big help. i cannot do this on the site edition when everyone else is using the terminal to get the machine running again.
We hate it, but it was necessary at the tie for a program we had to run.
we now have a better solution using the plc.
regards,
james

Really?
Does it not have Demo version?
Is it possible to Purchase an old version's License?
Are there signant differences between ME and SE?

there is a demo mode. it runs for 2 hours and reboots the pc.
the major difference between the machine edition and site edition is that the site edition is a pc. you cannot edit the application while others are using the terminal and they cannot use the terminal while you are editing the application.
we also haven't found a way to move the app from the pc to our laptop or another site edition terminal.
We hate the site edition and will fight to keep them out of the plant in the future. the machine edition applications is what i have on my laptop. i open the app and find the screen with the issue and look for the plc tag so i can go online with the plc and go to the issue. saves time if you are not the one who wrote the plc program.
james

the major difference between the machine edition and site edition is that the site edition is a pc. you cannot edit the application while others are using the terminal and they cannot use the terminal while you are editing the application.
we also haven't found a way to move the app from the pc to our laptop or another site edition terminal.
We hate the site edition and will fight to keep them out of the plant in the future. the machine edition applications is what i have on my laptop. i open the app and find the screen with the issue and look for the plc tag so i can go online with the plc and go to the issue. saves time if you are not the one who wrote the plc program.
james

Thanks James, for that input.

you can only modify the program on that terminal and you prevent others from using it while editing.

That is true of Machine Edition and of the "standalone" installation of Site Edition where the server and client are on the same PC (and if you haven't installed the Studio software elsewhere).

But FactoryTalk View Site Edition, when implemented as a client-server application (like Ignition is), allows you to edit applications on the HMI server while the clients are running. When the client closes and re-opens a display, the client gets updated and your operators see the changes.

For the actual original poster: get in touch with your local RA distributor if you want a demo of FactoryTalk View SE.

There's a whole lot going on here...

In my experience, the demo mode runs for two continuous hours and then the client shuts down. Not the computer itself. I seem to recall just restarting the client and the two hours started over. Unless something has changed in the latest version.

You can absolutely edit the screen while someone else is looking at it. Even with ME, if I were editing the display that has no effect on the terminal. But with ME you have to create a new runtime, download it, and load it before the operator would see the change. With SE, as Ken mentions, they can just navigate away to a different screen (closing the edited screen) and then come back to that display (reopening that display) and the changes are visible. If it is a Local application then of course you need to use the PC to make your edits. An operator wouldn't be able to use the same PC while you are editing. But that's the same for any computer/software. Two people can't simultaneously use the same PC.

You say terminal, I assume you just mean PC. As you stated, ME uses a hardware terminal where SE is just software on a PC. To transfer an application, use the SE Application Manager and Backup your application. Take that backup to the other PC and use the same tool to Restore the application.

We hate the site edition and will fight to keep them out of the plant in the future.
Certainly understandable. Go with what works best for you. It just sounds like there is some bad information that got passed to you. Personally, I prefer SE to ME.

OG

Last edited:
I ditto what Ken and OG said. You can edit SE clients on the run. Just need to refresh the page/display after a change is made and saved.
Works very nice if your client machine has two monitors (or even one dummy display in addition to the display the client runs on), then you're not fighting with the operators over screen real estate while working on the screens.
Typically, I'll VNC onto the HMI machine and just pause my work if the operators need to interact with the screen...two people occasionally having mouse wars over one machine but it does work.

Last edited:
That is true of Machine Edition and of the "standalone" installation of Site Edition where the server and client are on the same PC (and if you haven't installed the Studio software elsewhere).

But FactoryTalk View Site Edition, when implemented as a client-server application (like Ignition is), allows you to edit applications on the HMI server while the clients are running. When the client closes and re-opens a display, the client gets updated and your operators see the changes.

For the actual original poster: get in touch with your local RA distributor if you want a demo of FactoryTalk View SE.

Yes Bro, however, they may not attend to Personal requests aside business to business requests.
Can anyone here help me with the SE Demo version please?
I'm willing to pay!
[email protected]