PanelView replacement with RS-485

DRB

Hey all,

I've been asked to propose a solution for the replacement of a PV C300, connected to two MicroLogix 1100 over RS-485.

They want a newer model of PV. But to be honest, I'm still fairly new in the game and have zero experience with RS-485.

I know that RS-485 is how it's wired, but what actually is the protocol? Can that protocol be easily converted to Ethernet or something else? What are the options you could suggest for this?

Thanks for your help.

Panelview800 is a direct replacement and the program can be easily converted using the free Connected Components Workbench software. A PV800 talks DH-485 directly. On some of the PV800s, you need to purchase an adapter plate because they are slightly different physical dimensions than the Panelview Component equivalents.

In this case, you will be running Data Highway 485 protocol (DH485) over three-conductor RS-485 wiring: Data A, Data B, and Signal Common.

The MicroLogix 1100's have a 3-pin RS-485 port as a part of their round Channel 0 Mini-DIN8 plug. Get a 1763-NC01 to break that out to screw terminals, especially because the port also has +24V pins that could smoke other circuits if you connect them wrong.

The PanelView Component 300 is probably a 2711C-T3M or -K3M (Touch or Keypad).

The PanelView Component product line is very, very simliar to the PanelView 800 product line. The old embedded "Design Station" software became the PanelView 800 Designer inside Connected Controls Workbench. All you have to do is change the terminal model number to migrate.

But Rockwell discontinued the 2-inch and 3-inch models, so the closest terminal will be a 2711R-T4T touchscreen.

Because the cutout needs to be larger, there's no mounting adapter kit: you will have to saw/nibble/cut a larger mounting cutout.

You could also leave the RS-485 wiring alone and migrate to Ethernet, since all of the devices have Ethernet built in and the PanelView 800 terminals are compatible with all MicroLogix family controllers.

Thanks for your answer Ken. I'll bring that up with my client.

They actually have a few Panelview 7 Plus used elsewhere in the plant, and they'd like to use that same model to replace the C300, but they don't want to run a new Ethernet cable from the MicroLogix to the PV, as the distance is pretty high between them.

I'm also looking into DH485/Ethernet converters as an option, such as this one :
https://www.prosoft-technology.com/Products/Gateways/Aparian/DH485-Router