drbitboy
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by parky View Post
I agree with Brian,...

+1

And I agree with @parky.

One way to deal with this, assuming the encoder rollover is a power of 2 (e.g. 8192 = 213), is to use one of the bits of the encoder that will always take at least one or two PLC scan cycles to change.

Simple calculation of encoder rate
  • 250mm per cylinder (170mm of cylinder + 80mm of gap)
  • 5 cylinders can be on the conveyor at any one time
  • 500ms for a cylinder to go from one end to the other
  • radius of conveyor is 75mm (~3")
    • so 75mm of conveyor movement is 1 radian of conveyor wheel angular rotation
  • 1 revolution per 2π radians
  • 8192 pulses per revolution
  • 3ms per scan cycle

250 mm 5 cyl 1 conveyor length 1 Radian 1 revolution 8192 counts 3 ms encoder counts
Pulse rate = ------- x --------------- x ----------------- x -------- x ------------ x ------------ x ------------ = 130+ --------------
1 cyl conveyor length 500 ms 75 mm 2π Radian 1 revolution 1 scan cycle scan cycle

Those are just sample estimates based on earlier posts and a guess at the encoder/conveyor wheel diameter, but it should be illustrative of the process.

If it is close then it means that
  • the conveyor moves 7 or 8mm per scan cycle
  • bit 8 (value 256) of the encoder count will have an edge every two cycles or so, and no more than one edge every one cycle,
    • so we could use changes (rising and falling edges) in that bit 8 as the trigger to shift the bits in the FIFOs,
    • which would represent ~15mm of conveyor movement (2π x 75 x 256 / 8192).
That 15mm should a small enough fraction of the gap between cylinders, that 1 index of padding on either side of any defect bit location will not spill over to an adjacent cylinder.

If that calculation is not close, then that only means a different bit in the encoder count would be used to trigger the bit shifts; the key is to pick a bit for which the scan cycle never fails to detect an edge.

If the encoder count rollover is not a power of two, then it gets messier, but still solvable.
ii) There is no software problem that cannot be solved with another layer of indirection.
iii) Measurement is hard.
iv) I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

Last edited by drbitboy; August 6th, 2022 at 09:36 AM.