Red Lion Cadet G304K2 Tutorial?

gbradley

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a Red Lion Cadet G304K2 HMI that I want to use to communicate with CompactLogix 1769-L30ERM using Ethernet/IP

Is there a tutorial or quick start on setting up Ethernet/Ip?

Do I have to setup the initial programming using the 9 pin serial port?
DO I have to download a driver?

The screen says: INVALID DATABASE
IP Address is not configured and TCP/IP download is disabled
With Mac address listed...

Thanks

The rs232 serial driver is installed with the crimson software. The port on the HMI is not a standard rs232 serial port through - you need a custom cable. It should work out of the box if you have the correct cable.

Thanks,
I ordered the CBLUSB4K cable yesterday.
I found this out from Bulletin No. G304K2-C, which is the best information that I have found so far.

If you are communicating via TCP/IP you don't need the cable. I have never used one.

When you power the unit on for the first time you should be able to put in a IP address for the HMI. The download port should be set to 789.

In Crimson go to Communications and click on Network. Set the IP address for the HMI to match what you put in manually. Then click on the Download Tab and set the IP Download to Enabled and the port to 789. That should be all you need to do to download your project to the HMI.

When you power the unit on for the first time you should be able to put in a IP address for the HMI....

When I power it up, The screen says: INVALID DATABASE
IP Address is not configured and TCP/IP download is disabled
With Mac address listed...

In Crimson, 'Database' = 'Application File'

Out of the box, all G3 displays give you the 'Invalid Database' message.

I have always downloaded a database to them over RS-232 or USB, but you could use a BOOTP/DHCP Server (Allen-Bradley includes a good free one with RSLinx) to give it an IP address.

On my G306A, there's another line in the Invalid Database message stating that you can hold the 1st and 4th softkeys while powering up to enter an IP address. The 304K2 has only a touchscreen, right ? So it probably doesn't have this option.

I don't know the G304K2 well enough to tell you if you need RS-232 or if there is a USB connection method to download the first database.

No USB on the G304K2. Initial setup is via serial. In the 'download' tab of network, change the IP Download to 'enabled', manually set an IP address, and download the database. From there on, you can do everything via Ethernet.

🍻

-Eric

Sorry I misunderstood the differences between the Kadet and the Standard G series. My mistake.

No USB on the G304K2. Initial setup is via serial. In the 'download' tab of network, change the IP Download to 'enabled', manually set an IP address, and download the database. From there on, you can do everything via Ethernet.

🍻

-Eric
Got it.
That's what I did.
We are Rockin and Rollin now.:ROFLMAO:

I ended up needing to Reboot my PC after installing the CBLUSB4K driver.
Win7 said that it was all good, but the crimson software wasn't communicating.
After I rebooted the PC everything was good.
The first thing I did is setup the IP address.
Now that cable is put away nicely in a drawer.
Thanks

Thank You

I have been attempting to talk between the lap top and the G304K2 for two days. Reading everything I could.
This string made sense, but still would not work.
I finally decided to start again.
It was when I used File new in the Crimson software that I realised that the wrong device had been selected at the start and would never work.

I followed the steps above.
1.In Communications-Network
2. Download TAB
IP Download: Enabled
Listen Port Number: - 789
Download to Different Port : - Disabled
Selection Mode; - Manual
Remote Address: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
3. Check the Link-> Options
Communications Port set to the same as the CBLUSBRS cable
4. Link-.>Update
It now looks to be working.
Well done forum people.

I spoke to soon.
None of this worked for me.
It downloaded the firmware a little and then it froze.
It keeps freezing every time I try.
I then got a new one and the same thing happened.
Now I have two that don't work.

The problem with the G304K2 is that out of the box, you can't download with ethernet.
So to get started, try a different USB to serial adapter than the one that has been giving you problems.

In your first application to be downloaded, ENABLE IP download (Communications, Network, Download tab).

Try starting your communications to send the firmware and application right after booting up the device. If you time it right, even when there is an invalid database or problem with firmware, you can often get it talking by timing it just right.

Once you get that first download accomplished, with Ethernet Downloading Enabled, you can put away the serial cable and switch to Ethernet for further work.

Thanks OkiePC
I have been in contact with RedLion Control Support.
The last reply
""It may be possible you have a bad converter. We actually had an issue some time ago with the USB to serial converters we were supplying. We had switched to another source to reduce costs, but we ended up with ones that had bad chips in them. They turned out to be using counterfeit knock off chips and they could cause problems. If you have a bad USB adapter that may be the issue. The brand we supply that we know works is the Gold X. It should have Gold X printed on a black plastic headshell. The bad ones we got had no brand with a blue plastic headshell and silver metal. If you got one of those from us it may the problem. If you have your own adapter, and you got a low cost no name one, it is possible you may also have one of those knock offs with the bad chips. ""

I have the blue lead.
So I am waiting for a new lead.

Get one of these:

https://www.plccable.com/usb-to-rs232-plc-programming-cable-special-plctalk-net/

You can fabricate your own cable to connect it to the Red Lion Kadets and use that converter with any other RS-232 hardware you encounter. I used to prefer the (Tripp Lite) Keyspan USA-19HS, but mechanically, I like the one from Industrial Concepts much better. It has a nice long cable that stays in place better than the keyspan and often I can use it without anything added to it.

I think I have three or four cables from them now of various types (Mitsubishi, A/B, Generic RS-232) and have bought a bunch of the short 1761-CBL-PM02 cables for installation in equipment. Mark ships fast, and I have never had any problems with any of his products and his prices are excellent.