Micrologix 1200 to Micrologix 1400/PVP 600

woody400

Hello,
I currently have a Micrologix 1400 PLC connected to PanelView Plus 600 HMI through ethernet, and Ive been asked to connect an additional (existing) PLC to the HMI. The other PLC is a Micrologix 1200 and doesnt have an ethernet connection. It has the circular type RS-232 port. Im wondering if it is possible to convert the RS-232 to an ethernet connection? The Micrologix 1400 and PVP 600 both cnnect to a 4 port switch. Can I also connect the Micrologix 1200 to this switch and use the HMI to control functions on the Micrologix 1200 as well?

additionally, I have a RS232 Serial over IP Ethernet Device Server available and was wondering if this would possibly solve my problem?

Hi

I have used the 1761-net-eni module in the past to do this
Now it has been a good few years so I am not sure if these units are still for sale from Allen Bradley
This units requires an IP address and will appear on your ethernet network
You will also need the cable to connect to the plc

Thanks

Donnchadh

What's the full part number of the PanelView? The "Compact" series of PV+6 can only connect to 1 PLC. Otherwise, if you have the full ($$$) version, you should be fine.

You could connect the two MicroLogix together via DF1 full duplex and read the needed values in the 1200 from the 1400. Then the PV would be getting all of the info from the 1400 via Ethernet.

In general, you need an Ethernet/Serial gateway that specifically supports the Rockwell EtherNet/IP and DF1 Full Duplex protocols.

That's what the 1761-NET-ENI was for. While it is no longer on the market, there are a few functional substitutes like the Spectrum Controls universal Ethernet Gateway, and the Real Time Automation 515RTAENI.

A general-purpose Ethernet-to-serial gateway or "Device Server" won't do the trick; those would require the PanelView to have a vendor-specific driver or support a designated virtual COM port driver, and they don't.

I would check into just converting the 1200 to a 1400 (or 1100 the I/O count is low) and use ethernet. The new processor usually doesn't cost much more than the gateway, it is easy to migrate because they both use the same software and I/O cards, and you get many added benefits such as online edits and higher speeds that the gateway does not provide.

What is the difference between the series B and series D?

Series B Enhancements
The 1761-NET-ENI series B features the following enhancements:
• elimination of the need for two ENIs in a CompactLogix,
FlexLogix, or ControlLogix system using RSLogix 5000
• ability to use Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP)
• two new BOOTP options
The 1761-NET-ENIW has the same features as the 1761-NET-ENI, but
includes web-serving capabilities as discussed on page 1-9.

Series C Enhancements
The 1761-NET-ENI/ENIW series C features the following
enhancements:
• 10/100-Base-T Ethernet port that auto-negotiates between
10 Megabits per second and 100 Megabits per second, either
half-duplex or full-duplex.
• increased temperature range up to 60°C (140°F)
• increased messaging performance

Series D Enhancements
The ENI/ENIW series D features the following enhancements:
• Ability to configure the ENI/ENIW over Ethernet
• Email user authentication for open mail servers
• Ability to force 10 Mbps or 100 Mbps and half-duplex or
full-duplex Ethernet configuration
• Diagnostic web-page for Ethernet connections in use
• Revised web-page formats for ENIW

Helliana said:
The new processor usually doesn't cost much more than the gateway

Our B is only 280.00 that a lot cheaper than a processor