Dumb Newbee Question

Slwagner73

Lifetime Supporting Member
So, just to start, I am not an engineer, but a sort-of self taught programmer.
And I am familiar with RSLogix-500, but I am just learning Studio-5000.
Here goes my question:
I would like to use a Panelview 800 HMI with a CompactLogix 1769-L27ERM PLC and a 1734-AENTR Remote I-O.
I used CCW to program the HMI, and I was sure to use the correct name for the PLC, and added the "192.168.0.2,1,0" per the manual.
I can see the HMI in RSLinks, and I can see the Remote I-O there also, but in the program, I get the stupid caution symbol for each of these devices.
And neither of them will do anything.
I get numerous errors every time I boot the HMI, and following the directions from the Rockwell site gets me nowhere.
Are these just not compatible?

Thanks for your time:
Scott

What are the errors?
- What are the errors on the HMI?
- What are the errors when you click on the stupid caution symbol?

Do you have firmware version 4.012 or later of the HMI? if not upgrade.

There are some other useful pointers and links on this technote #774421, access level everyone (you will need to sign up for an account though).
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/774421

Sometimes the knowledgebase can be easier and more frank than the user manuals.

AustralIan:
Thanks for the reply.
On the HMI, I have version 4.013.
And the error messages I get are for every tag. "2:Data Access Error for Alias "Okay to Run the Pump, Controller PLC1, Address is PLC1:MainProgram.Okay_To_Run_Bit, Communication Flag is 0. And it is the same for all of the Tags.
As for the Studio5000 error:
For the Remote I-O, it is (Code 16#0204)Connection Request Error Connection Request Timed Out.
For the HMI error, (Code 16#0315) Connection Request Error: Invalid segment type.
I'm lost...

And after following the link you provided, it would seem that making this work together is way above my head.
I have no idea what Modbus TCP to Ethernet/IP gateway is.
So, I guess I'll go back to the more expensive PanelView.
But thanks for your time.

I just done more research into that....I may be wrong... I did read where the latest firmware for panelview 800 does support th L2,L3 controller....I will read more..

I suspect you do not need the HMI in the I/O tree, as the HMI asks the PLC for info not the other way around.

Connection request timeout means that it isn't getting anything at all back from the I/O, not even a "nope, you asked for the wrong module".

You mention you can see the HMI and Remote I/O in RSLinx, can you also see the PLC?

Double check you have entered the PLC's IP address that you can see from RSLinx in the panelview project.

Double check that you have entered the right IP address, the right adapter and right firmware version in the AENTR.

There is something simple we have missed here, the PV800 to CPLX with AENTR is a fairly standard and well tested setup.

Did anything from answer ID 66192 help?:
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/66192/page/1

Hi and Welcome to the Forum!

I'm just dealing with the communications between the PanelView 800 and the L2 controller here, as the distributed I/O is a separate issue...

Perhaps this previous thread might assist you in setting up or double-checking some of the basic requirements...

Communication problem between panelview 800 to compactlogix l2 controller

Any questions you may have on that thread's contents would be best addressed here.

Regards,
George

Well, I am still lost. I have checked, rechecked, erased and started over, and still nothing.
I have checked the IP address, made sure I can see everything in RSLink, made sure the controller was addressed in CCW correctly, and still I get the address is zero error.
Is there anywhere I could send copies of the programs to see if maybe someone could see just what I have FUBARed?

AustralIan:
Thanks for the reply.
On the HMI, I have version 4.013.
And the error messages I get are for every tag. "2:Data Access Error for Alias "Okay to Run the Pump, Controller PLC1, Address is PLC1:MainProgram.Okay_To_Run_Bit, Communication Flag is 0. And it is the same for all of the Tags.
As for the Studio5000 error:
For the Remote I-O, it is (Code 16#0204)Connection Request Error Connection Request Timed Out.
For the HMI error, (Code 16#0315) Connection Request Error: Invalid segment type.
I'm lost...

I'm a bit out of date on the Compactlogix in general, and Panelview stuff as well. Back in the day, you had to use Controller scoped tags (PLC1:Okay_To_Run_Bit), which all of the programs on the PLC, and anything else on communications could see. I don't remember being able to access tags in PLC1:MainProgram .... but that was years ago and things may have changed.

We are running ControlLogix now. Our panelviews are on ethernet and were current firmware when we put them in ... when we commissioned them but someone else programmed them ... and they read and write our tags in Controller Scope because that's always worked for me.

Put everything you got in a folder and zip it. The post as attachment.

Can you go over how everything is plugged into each other? Are you using a switch?

I just went through this. (Data access error)
I was using an L24er with a PV800.
Always had communications errors with a majority of my tags. They were configured properly. Called rockwell, no solution.
I ended up putting a relay from a PLC output to power ON the HMI. Because I noticed that whenever I restart the HMI on its own without powering down the PLC I got no messages..