Encoder - Paralel wiring

shanimi

Hallo to everyone

Is it possible to wire one encoder to two High Speed Counters?
one HSC is connected to an old machine while the second HSC will be connected to a new PLC - collecting data

Shanimi

Hey

U mean, u have an A signal and a B signal. The B signal is 90 degrees later for detection of countdirection. And u just want to use the B signal for your PLC and the A signal to your old machine...

As long as the potential is the same...

Your encoder outputs would at least need to be line driver type. You can get boards from several mfgrs that allow you to use 1 encoder and it gives 2 to 4 outputs. This would be the better solution.

What is a line driver?
This is an old machine that I am afraid to touch
I can only connect paralel to the signals from the encoder

Is this posible?

Shanimi

To even start to answer something like that you would need to know:

1. The model (including output type) of the encoder

2. The model of each HSC.

3. The method of wiring to the present HSC.

Cosiderations are:

1. Isolation between the present system and the proposed system.

2. The drive capability of the encoder - can it take another load without degrading the signal.

A simplistic answer would be - sure, hook it up and see if any smoke comes out.

Leadfoot said:
Your encoder outputs would at least need to be line driver type.
???
Absolutely mysterious declaration.
Why open-collector is out of the game?

Answering the main question- yes, it is possible if both HSC have matching input types.
And most probably you will need to connect logic ground (commmon) of both machines.

By the way, our OEM company often integrates third-party laser and ink pinters into our packaging machines.These printers need encoder pulsetrain for printing. We never try to split our machine encoder signals but put independent encoder for the printer. Overall we win on design and troubleshooting time.

Last edited:
If the excisting encoder is a 24V line driver type, then you can easily connect both PLC inputs (old & new PLC) in parallel.

If it's an open collector (NPN or pull down) output type, I would suggest using diodes in series with every PLC input, since voltage levels between old & new PLC's might be different.