New AB Micro 800 (Micro830) line... anyone?

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
So after a few months of hounding my supplier I got a few, these are 830 and I also got a couple analog inputs and outputs, last week I download the software, its BIG but it has the newest version of RSLinx and its needed as it has a few new drivers 2.57.00.15

First impression, very nice, I like the plug in modules in the top (similar to the S7 1200) uses a standard A to B USB cable and has TWO ports standard also a very nice feature easy for programming when plug into the HMI, so as far as the hardware side a BIG (y)

Now lets talk software, I have it running on Windows 7 32bit and runs great, there is a known issues page that comes with the release notes that is a must read, this version will not run on a 64bit system (next will in the notes), the program is more like RSLogix 5000 than 500, FBD is very nice.. I have not tried the ST yet.

I do have a few problems that I would like to fix but the help file is not the best set up... I hope AB will make a few sample programs, I have search but have not found them

So I guess my question is anyone else trying it?

I need some information on setting up the scaling and how to make a constant, it looks like the PLC/Software detected the analog I/O

I need to take the input word and write it to the output word.... just testing my wiring of the I/O, I should have 0-10 Vdc on input 0 and the same on output 0

I think if they had a PDF overview it would help, what I have found is not very helpful, the 'How Do I' is a online help that needs help... or I just need to learn how to use the how to :)

cool. I am trying to install the software right now. We are looking at moving to these since alot of the stuff we do is very simple and basic, but we really dont want to stray from AB. nice to know that the software is more like 5000, and the fbd is a nice touch.

Im excited about trying them out.

Just downloaded the software and starting to play. The equivalent to a BSL (Micrologix) is ROL. Trying to get more info on setting that up. If I can find any.

George

I'm ordering ten of the 48-point units this week for a simple sequential machine. I took a little time playing with the software and drove myself to frustration by wishing it worked like RSLogix 500.

The best thing to do is just start reading the Help file, to teach yourself about the data types and the instruction set.

I'm finding the ladder editor to be hard to use, especially for somebody accustomed to the excellent RSLogix editors. I'll be patient.

I installed the Workbench software in an XP virtual machine so I can run it on my main work machine (Win7-64). I haven't tried the USB connection via this mechanism yet.

This is the sort of product that could really benefit from community support since it's totally new and the documentation isn't really well developed yet.

Two things that disappointed me about the CCW itself:

1. The gigantic download. I realize that the Connected Components Workbench includes Micro 800, PanelView Component, and Drive/Motion component tools, but a gigabyte is really huge ! I don't see any reason to burden the download with 100MB of Word Viewer.

2. The CCW is obviously written in Microsoft Visual Studio but the Help file shouldn't default into searching for online help about Visual Studio.

The thing I'm looking forward to seeing for myself is if the documentation is really saved into the controller. The Help file says it is, but I'm withholding my endorsement until I really walk up to a Micro 830 with an unrelated computer and upload a documented project file.

Ken,
That is what I noticed also, The help file going to Help for Visual Studio. Must be there is a way around it to get to the actual needed help???
George

I have had mine now for just over a week, so I have had time to break it (the software) so as far as the free support.... I guess you get what you pay for, I sent an email last week and posted a question on the forum and have not heard back from either one, I am just glad I have more than one PC.

I tried everything on the broken one, removed the software and re-installed it but it does the same thing, when I download a program to the CPU it will clear the CPU memory and that is it, it will go no further, just locks up (uploads fine)

I guess I will try calling them tomorrow again, I tried that last week and 10 mins on the phone never got to talk to anyone...

PRO's
1) You can download the software or they will mail you the CD (looking at the website)
2) free software
3) powerful software (LAD, ST, FBD)
4) Nice hardware, plug in modules are easy to configure
5) new new new

CON's
1) you are on your own, not much support
2) different, but can also be a PRO if you like learning
3) they need a 'overview' of the software on what are the basics, I think I am OK with most and this one is a little hard to grasp.
4) more samples are needed ( I do understand its early )

Questions I have
1) in the tree you have Programs and Function Blocks, what is the difference from one to the other, why would you use the Function Block over the Program, you can make a anyone of the 3 program styles in both

Here is a set of You Tube on the car wash sample, I think there are 5 of them total (hope they come out with more)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CcI1NsFVqI

As far as the help files... click on the Contents then expan the second developer help

CCW.jpg

I also found help after watching the videos Hit F1. Now I am trying to branch around 3 series contacts on 1 rung. I drag the branch around 1, but how do you then "stretch" it around the other 2?
Thanks
George

George,

Try dragging the contacts into the branch...not the branch

Try programming in FBD I have found that its easier to make changes and works like LAD, I like it :)