Flex Ex IO options

cardosocea

Hello gents,

I have a few Flex EX IO units deployed in a CLX system and I can't get parts to maintain the system anymore. I started looking at Rockwell to use their Ex IO, but honestly after feeling the bite of being left out in the cold with no option but to upgrade the entire bus and IO system, I am looking into options.

Has anyone have experience in other systems that I could use that are intrinsically safe and can be installed in Zone 2 area (a panel with IP54 exists already)?

I've looked at a couple of options but it would be nice to hear from other people about hteir experiences.

One option is to fit a Profibus master card, an isolator and use the ET200iSP from Siemens.
In the same vein, with Profibus I could use Pepperl and Fuchs (which Rockwell doesn't allow with EthernetIP) and potentially also Wago.

This comes after someone challenged the idea of keeping with Rockwell when Siemens, with their market share and accepted protocols, makes it simpler to maintain systems... which is hard to argue considering the ridiculous prices from Rockwell.