Micrologix 5000

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

The firmware numbers you describe are from "CompactLogix" controllers, not the older-architecture "MicroLogix".

In general, you can load older firmware into the controller, or upgrade your program to the newer firmware. Upgrading your program means also installing
RSLogix 5000" software of that version.

CompactLogix has had several hardware generations, not all of which are compatible with every firmware version. v17 and v19 are almost certainly compatible, but I can't be 100% sure.

Post the exact part number of your controller.

The 1768-L43 was actually one of the least popular CompactLogix controllers; it has that mix of the high-performance 1768 series data bus on the left, and the 1769 I/O bus on the right.

But it did more than the little CompactLogix because it had better networking, and it was smaller and less expensive than the main battle tanks in the 1756 ControlLogix series.

Anyhow: you can load major revision 16, 17, 18, 19, or 20 firmware onto those controllers, so you can "downgrade" the controller firmware to version 17.004 and load your existing program onto it.

The user program will necessarily be erased when you reload the firmware.

You can get the firmware from Rockwell's download website. Just use the search term "1768-L43".

https://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/Pages/MultiProductDownload.aspx?crumb=112

You generally need a TechConnect support contract to be eligible to download firmware. If you don't have one, you'll need to get in touch with your local Rockwell distributor for assistance.