Batch Simulator with Alternating motors

cburns6

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I have reached my final project in my PLC class with a teacher that doesnt know what hes doing so i have learned very little during this class.

I have been assigned to program the Batch Simulator Exercise that requires two pumps to alternate, only working 5 seconds each, and fill a tank as well as a pump to empty the tank.

If anyone has some information please let me know, thanks!

IMG_20141125_151313_304.jpg

Two quick things.

If you show what work you have done towards achieving your goal, more will offer you some assistance.

Its a pretty bold statement for a student to comment that a teacher does not know what he is doing in a PLC class. You better hope he is not a member of this site. I can tell you that most people in the Automation industry use this site at some point or another in careers or at least know of the site.

Showing effort = getting help.

I can guarantee that my teacher knows nothing about the subject. He is just a last minute fill in for the semester so all he has done is read power points that were given to him by the teacher.

That if you read the directions "seconds" or any other reference to time is not mentioned. If it happens to only take 5 second to fill the tank that is irrelevant to the project.

To put it nicely asking a forum for people to do your project for you, and that it seems you only skimmed the directions, doesn't provide much evidence to support your claim that it is the teachers fault you didn't learn anything. I would recommend that you stay away from independent study classes.

EDIT: In my experience final projects in classes were meant for you to go outside the box and do some of your own research.

The "seconds" were an instruction added by the teacher, saying to let each pump run for 5 seconds. Obviously I had to add that in the text because the picture didn't show it

And the whole reason I found this site is because I was trying to do some research to figure it out. But nice try lol

I can guarantee that my teacher knows nothing about the subject. He is just a last minute fill in for the semester so all he has done is read power points that were given to him by the teacher.

If you at least come up with a draft of how you think it should work we will be more than happy to help you. But you have to at least show us something...

The "seconds" were an instruction added by the teacher, saying to let each pump run for 5 seconds. Obviously I had to add that in the text because the picture didn't show it

well if that's the case you're screwed because you don't have the right tools in the toolbox shown in your picture to do anything in terms of seconds....

A lot of the information to solve this problem is contained in the LogixPro Simulator software, and in the Student Problem Exercises for the LogixPro Batch Simulation.

The LogixPro Batch Simulation exercises have been discussed on this site numerous times in previous threads.

Do a site "Advanced Search" for "batch simulator", and you will find plenty of old threads about this problem. I have posted many solutions to many variations of the problems, and there are solutions in the "Downloads" section (see top menu bar).

There is not a problem solution exactly like your problem. I can tell you that you need to modify the normal Batch Mix Advanced Exercise 1 (where you use 2 pumps to fill the tank) and use 2 counters, C5:1 to count Pump 1 tank fillings, and C5:2 to count Pump 2 tank fillings.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/search.php?searchid=3776859

Last edited:
First of all ask yourself if you have any idea about ladder diagrams or any other plc language because it will be difficult for you to answer a PLC question/exercise without knowledge on any PLC language. In case you don't have any idea on any PLC language maybe your not in a PLC class. For research maybe you should search sequential electrical wiring diagrams so that you think how your question/exercise be put into a sequential form.

You cannot easily "let each pump run 5 seconds" with the addresses and devices on the included list of addresses to use. That list does not include an address for a timer. It is obvious that the original problem meant for each pump to run until the tank is full. You need to get this conflict resolved by your instructor. He either needs to add a timer address to the list, or delete the 5 second requirement. Otherwise you cannot solve the problem by following the given instructions.

You cannot easily "let each pump run 5 seconds" with the addresses and devices on the problem list of addresses to use. That list does not include an address for a timer. It is obvious that the original problem meant for each pump to run until the tank was full. You need to get this conflict resolved by your instructor. He either needs to add a timer address to the list, or delete the 5 second requirement.

I would just be the wise guy and make both programs and turn them both in asking him which he wants

I would just be the wise guy and make both programs and turn them both in asking him which he wants
There is another problem with that. If you try the 5-second limit, you soon find that it takes LESS than 5 seconds for the tank to completely fill using only 1 pump. In fact, the fill time varies depending on what speed you use. If you set the "speed" at 40% of full scan rate, then the tanks fills in approximately 5 seconds. Maybe that is what he wants - use the LogixPro "Scans" rate to set the time at 5 seconds to fill the tank using 1 pump. Because LogixPro is a simulation, the scans speed depends on the speed of the underlying computer microprocessor.

Yeah I remember something like that I haven't used the simulator for over year (like the OP is now, I was in school then)

We never used timers for those unless a deliberate delay was need, say a settling time for the contents of the tank, mostly because of the issue you mentioned and the theory was you wouldn't slow your PLC down in the field (there might be a case where you would but I would assume that is a very specialized need) we won't do it here.

If we would of had to make a timer for something like this we would have timed the process first then made a timer to match whatever % of full run time we needed.