upload its program from B&R X20CP0292 By using Automation Studio 4.3

khlid11

Hi,
I have a B&R Cpu X20CP0292 .I need to upload the program from CPU tp my PC by using Automation Studio 4.3 Any one could help me to get the procedure and the setting connection by using ethernet cable?

Many thanks in advance

Unless the source code was saved in the CPU, you won’t be able to upload the program.
This being a compact CPU with only 3mb of user memory, I would say that it is unlikely to store the source code on the CPU.

Making the connection to it should be simple if you know the IP address.
In Automation Studio, go to Online, then Settings. A window should appear for you showing any preconfigured connections. It should too automatically scan for any devices and then display them in a window for you if you are connected locally to the PLC and not across routers or vlans.

If no devices are found or the configured list is empty, you can add a connection to the list by clicking the Add TCP Connection, then enter the IP address.

Once connected to the cpu, you will need to search through the menu at the top of the software and look for Upload Source Code From Device. Again, it’s unlikely the source code is there.

Many thanks
Yes I have the CPU IP address but I want the procedure how to upload the program from CPU X20CP0292 to my PC?
and also the software can i used to upload are Automation Studio 4.3 or PVI 4.3?
many thanks in advance

It should too automatically scan for any devices and then display them in a window for you if you are connected locally to the PLC and not across routers or vlans.

So this won't work if connected through on different VLAN through router? I'm able to ping the processor from my desk but AS doesn't find the device. Is there another way to get this to work across the network?

Sadly no. Automation Studio relies on SNMP to detect connected PLCs.
Even still, I’ve had cases where I would be connected locally to the PLC and Automation Studio still won’t find it.

However, there is another way.
You will need to go to Online > Settings.
In the Connected Devices list, right click and Add New TCP Connection.
Enter in the IP Address of the PLC and give the new connection a name.
After you have entered it, you can right click on the new connection and click connect. You should see the status in the bottom status bar change to RUN or SERV depending on what state the processor is in.

I can get you screenshots if you need it.

How saving source code to the PLC works in B&R Land:

Option 1) In the configuration view, you right click the configuration and go to properties. You will find the option to archive the source code when transfering to PLC and password protect it.

Option 2) Transfer it to the User partition (F: when FTPing into the PLC). In the user partition settings, you can even configure it to automatically transfer over files in a specified directory when transfering to the PLC. You could also manually place anything in the user partition and using the "BuildEvents" you could write a batch file that does it all for you.

Option 3) Save your source code to a git repository like a normal programmer and save a link to the repository in the user partition or on the OEM screen on the HMI.

Getting the source off the PLC:

For Option 1) [File -> Open Project From Target...] This is the only way to do it if you setup the configuration to automatically archive the source files.

For Option 2) You can FTP into the PLC to get files off the User partition, just be sure you configured the FTP server to be on and setup a use so you can login. Alternatively, just stick the CF or CFast card in a reader and you should be able to access all the partitions.

Doing things without the project source code:

You aren't completely sunk. You can create a dummy project and connect to the PLC and in the [Online -> Compare -> Software] you can show a list of running programs. You can then right click those programs and open Watch Windows. You can then insert variables into the watch windows to see what the value are and even change values.

I can get you screenshots if you need it.

Screenshots would be cool. I've tried both ways and still can't get a connection. I'm still able to ping the cpu but can't find it in AS.

Another quick question. I have the original source code that was left with us after this line was commissioned but the vendor has been back and made a few changes since then and hasn't left me with new code. Is the original source code I have useless now? Is there anyway to go online for troubleshooting with what I have?

Like Capin said, any changes or differences between your source code and what is in the PLC can be essentially merged by doing a compare of offline vs online project. I’m just seeing your post so i will get you some screenshots tomorrow.

Like Capin said, any changes or differences between your source code and what is in the PLC can be essentially merged by doing a compare of offline vs online project. I’m just seeing your post so i will get you some screenshots tomorrow.

Thanks for the help. After messing with it a little more I found out that most traffic between me and that CPU is being blocked at the firewall. Echo request is the only thing currently set to pass which is why I was able to ping the processor but not do anything else. I'm working to get a new firewall rule added now to allow traffic and I'll try again later.