FMS software

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello, is anyone here familiar with a software called FMS? I searched online but couldn't find anything that made sense. It is connected to an Omron CH200X PLC as an OI. It is pretty old stuff.....running on Windows XP SP3.

I have seen "FMS" used in the Oil and Gas industry. What service is this in?

It is an interface for a Hitachi Seiki rail guided vehicle, for loading tombstones onto machine tool centers. It is nothing more than an executable that is used as an OI for the CH200X.

FMS usually stands for Flexible Manufacturing System so it could just be someone has written an application to interface with the Omron. I have come across this type of thing before and the name is often just a name given at that time. It sounds to me that it may well be one of these and is not a standard product, I came across a board with a 8080 microprocessor talking to digital I/O on a Square D PLC and 232 communication to a robot. turned out to be a one-off parallel data to 232 converter. some guy had written an application on the micro board as an interface. however, we could find no trace of the guy who supplied the unit.

FMS usually stands for Flexible Manufacturing System so it could just be someone has written an application to interface with the Omron. I have come across this type of thing before and the name is often just a name given at that time. It sounds to me that it may well be one of these and is not a standard product, I came across a board with a 8080 microprocessor talking to digital I/O on a Square D PLC and 232 communication to a robot. turned out to be a one-off parallel data to 232 converter. some guy had written an application on the micro board as an interface. however, we could find no trace of the guy who supplied the unit.

In a nutshell, I am over a barrel, right? Lol

It sure sounds like this could be your situation. I have come across a number of interfaces written as a one-off, sometimes if it is a bespoke application on a pc then it is possible that a copy of the code is on the pc. I have found this to be the case in a number of occasions. I.E. "C", "Pascal" or "Basic" installed to commission the system or source files for reference. you may be lucky but it will depend on what you intend to do i.e. upgrade or just port it to updated hardware.

I definitely heard about FMS, even related to XP, but that was in the context of the Fast Mail Service and this is hardly what you are talking about.

Hello, is anyone here familiar with a software called FMS? I searched online but couldn't find anything that made sense. It is connected to an Omron CH200X PLC as an OI. It is pretty old stuff.....running on Windows XP SP3.

What industry are you referring to?

In terms of Pharmaceutical- FMS can stand for "Facility Monitoring System", this is used to measure the quality of air in the graded areas (particle counts PPM).

Regards

Daniel

Given that the application is basically a CNC machine tool, FMS in that context is a somewhat generic term for Flexible Manufacturing Systems. This company actually uses it in their product name, but if you search on the term itself, there are lots of products that use that term genetically for CNC machining cell software systems.
https://intelitek.com/adv-foundation-skills/flexible-manufacturing-system-fms/