Maple Systems Opinons

jjnelson81

All,

I am researching HMI options for my company. We typically use PV+ 1000s but we are looking for a few different features that Studio does not support. Specifically support for GIF files and the ability to animate imported images (other than visibility).

I have been looking at the maple systems HMIs (siler series plus and Ivory series).

Does anyone have any experience with these. I am looking for some input on reliability and industrial hardness. I know maple has been around the block a few times but wanted to get opinions from the experts out there.

Thanks in advance!!

-J

They are High Quality displays. Some of my early maple applications are still running over 10 years later. The programming is not as simple as some others but the added features make it worth the learning curve if you need/want them.

I don't know about Maple Systems, but the Parker/CTC units can do the 'animated picture' thing. The bad thing is that they are almost twice the price of a Maple...

We use the Silver Series HMIs and have had very few issues. In fact, we are just completing a project replacing eight PV600 with eight HMI530T OITs. I have also just specified seven HMI504T, 4" OITs to be used on a Modbus Network in an upcoming project. These little OITs are only $299.00.

The programming software has a small learning curve, but it works well and gives you way more options than PanelBuilder. The Silver Series has some limitations with the Ethernet connectivity, but I think that the Silver Series Plus addresses these issues. Tech support is good and they have always been very responsive.

Typically, we are standardized on the Red Lion G3 OIT, but if we need a low cost option that has a lot of functionality, we will use a Maple System.

Regards

[KP_EENG, please post a comment on the HMI1504T after you've had a chance to try it out.]
I'm a fan of Maple as well. For software, my first choice is AVG. I like the appearance of the 3D buttons. I haven't done a project with C'More yet, but hope they have the same look and feel.

Industrial Hardness is probably apples to apples these days. In the past, Maple had a reputation for being one of the best. In the Semiconductor Industry where I work, I've seen custom Maple small text displays in hard cast cases. These were very rugged and reliable. You can trust Maple in this area.

Guys, this is exactly what I wanted to hear. I appreciate the swift reponse. If anyone else come across this post and has some input, please repsond. I am planning on using these posts as a way to sell the change to the old Bulls that I have to report to.

Thanks again!!!

First some background.

The touch screens that you ask about are manufactured by a company called Weintek. They are located in Taiwan.

Their products are marketed in the US by the following companies:

Maple Systems
Kessler Ellis
Nematron
CTC

We market them on our web site through KEP. www.entertron.com/touchscr.htm

They are a good display.

What we are finding is that there isn't much difference in price when you are talking a 5.7" monochrome or color. The monochrome will be in the $500 range and the color will be in the $700 range.

We have been using the H-series from Beijer (formerly Hitech) for some time now. The primary reason is the Macro capabilities. Even though both the Weintek and Beijer offer macro writting, they are not created equal. The H series offers a far more powerful macro, and it much easier to use.

All of the programming projects we have done require macros. We have done them in both the Weintek and Beijer. The time required was far greater in the Weintek. Depending on how much programming you will do, will determine how much of a savings the macro feature will generate.

The graphics are comparable in that the 5.7" H series color is now available in TFT at the same price.

They also have a new unit coming out this quarter that will list at $225.00 (16 shade grey)

One other thing that you will need to consider. The published pricing for the touch screen does not include the interface cable. This will typically be a $25 - $70 "hidden cost" that people forget to factor into their cost equation. We actually include the cable with our ePLC, so there is no surprise to our customers.

Most screens are rated with a IP65 rating.

There are two primary drawbacks that we have run into with our customer's applications.

1. The operating temperature range is usually only up to 45 C.

2. They will only operate at 24 VDC. We have many applications that run at 12 VDC.

This is more of a general observation (industry) rather than manufacturer specific.

I use both the Maple Systems Silver Series and the Automation Direct C-More. The programming and look of the two is a lot different. There are many things that you can do on one that you can't do on the other, with the edge going to the Maple Systems in that respect. For example, you can't stack two different objects on the C-More, making one transparent. The second object will completely cover the first.

I am not sure if you can use GIF files on the Maple Systems. If you can't, it is a simple matter of converting the image to a 256-color bitmap. The C-More has better resolution. Maple Systems has another line with better resolution as well, but I think that it is a different manufacturer.