Modicon m580 causing network issues

Engrlife

I have an m580 thats been running for about 2 months now, yesturday after a day of some small programming changes the citys network is being brought down when ever the PLC is plugged in. I have tried changing the 2 IP addresses and doesnt change anything. Not sure what would be causing this.

How are your network ports configured? The m580 supports RSTP. However if 2 ports are plugged into a non managed switch then you could have issues. Has anything changed with the cabling?

Check your updated code! it is probably executing an incomplete operation, thereby timingout and dropping the network. Is your updated code reading or writing something? Make sure the function block your implementing is specified for single word, double word or whichever, using the wrong function block to read or write large data will timeout the network.

Are the EtherNet two independent networks? Make sure to use an EtherNet switch that is dedicated for this purpose. If you have a managed switch, it can help you to trace where the timeout is coming from.

anytime I've plugged something in and brought down the network it was because I had created a loop and RSTP wasn't enabled, or some proprietary ring protocol was being used but it got a loop where it wasn't expecting it.

Are the two ports bridged thereby creating a loop in the M580?

What if you only plug in one port at a time?