What can i do to get better at coding controls logics?

back in Post #21, member Doug-P provided a link to a set of eleven YouTube videos ... have you watched these? ... most (if not all) of the "scan cycle" type questions that you've asked so far are answered in that series ...

if you're interested, be sure to watch all of the videos in NUMBER ORDER ... then if you have questions about anything that you see there, feel free to bring those up on the forum ... (note that each "slide" is numbered - so it shouldn't be too hard to ask specific questions) ...

from your Post #28 ...

one specific part of that statement that you're misunderstanding is the phrase "if logic passes" ... many people believe that if TRUE logic doesn't "pass" through the rung, then the instruction located at the end of the rung will be totally ignored (and so the instruction will do NOTHING) ... that belief is quite often INCORRECT ...

good luck with it ...

I have not seen that. I ddint realize it was a link! lol. I will definitely take a look at the series thanks again!

3. Python, for the future of PLC hardware/software, so as to see what a few lines of concise brilliance can achieve in microseconds on the crappiest Android phone CPU.

Give me programmability or give me death.

I literally just wrote 3 lines of code that parsed some barcode data, padded it, took it from one CSV file and created another. Python is easy to learn and its so freaking powerful

I literally just wrote 3 lines of code that parsed some barcode data, padded it, took it from one CSV file and created another. Python is easy to learn and its so freaking powerful

Preach.

1. For ladder specifically: assembly language, so as to see ladder on bare hardware without the perks of ladder

2. C, for the future of PLC hardware/software, so as to see the basic operations of any kind of computer anywhere that have been standard since the 80s, that we don't $^#$ing have on PLCs still for some reason. o_O

3. Python, for the future of PLC hardware/software, so as to see what a few lines of concise brilliance can achieve in microseconds on the crappiest Android phone CPU.

Give me programmability or give me death.

seems simple enough. just kidding. couldn't help it.

p.s. i love the red lion hmi's for this reason. the schneider ones use java script (ugh)

Last edited:
Try this exercise,

copy from previous thread,

I have programmed a XXX logic to monitor 3 inputs,
and coresponding 3 outputs for controling of 3 pumps.

How to pause/resume timers for pumps ?
Is this possible with XXX ?

What I need to achieve is to resume the timer where it stopped
when pump output turned off and timer did not count to the preset time (putting the pumps in manual mode and back to auto should
resume the timer where it stopped).
And also resume with the same pump nr. that stopped initially.

For now program act like this:
If only one pump is activated in auto mode - that pump turns on for 24h
If two pumps in auto mode - each pump works for 12h hours in sequence
If three pumps in auto mode - each pump works for 8h in sequence

But after every auto-manual-auto switching pump 1 is swithed on first every time.
I want to switch on the last pump that was working prior to putting in manual mode.
And for the remaining time left in the timer for that pump.

seems simple enough. just kidding. couldn't help it.

p.s. i love the red lion hmi's for this reason. the schneider ones use java script (ugh)

(y)

Ditto, love the power of the Red Lion script. Ditto to ugh to JS too. JS is for web development... Had the same thought when IBM started trying to push Node-RED for IoT.

How to put your mind and thinking into PLC to work accordingly to the process requierments is a long way.
The very first thing is your friends, relatives or neighbours that work in the PLC stuff area. You can start practice in their companies. Maybe is sometimes better to know only basics about program. So they will tell you what to do. Easiest way is to start with visualisation like Zenon, WinCC, ... They will give you project and you will maybe need to update existing project. During the update you can also sneak how is the program written, how are the variables in the PLC program and visualisation program connected. You can also get to work with the hardware update, especcially if the project requires only extensions.

Ok I only gave you ideas. But this also requires that you have some special abilities.
For instance:
-you can travel to other countries
-you can work more than 8 h per day
-your will to work for money
-you can stay from home for a long periods
-you will have to go to seminars to update your knowledge, paycheck is yours
-you are not allowed to interupt coworker ever
-you are tolerant to all kind of project timetable plan interruptions
-you can stay calm under pressure
-you can do only stuff you know
-you can ask freely coworker in the breaktime
-you can work whole night during running up system

Is your heart in it to learn though? Chemical Engineering is a world away from PLC programming.

Programming PLCs is all I do for a job, but I like it, if I didn't like it, what a soul destroying job it would be though.

Buy a cheap PLC online (automation direct) and 5 or 6 lights, 5 or 6 switches.

Then you can follow the free training stuff on the AD website or just start programming, make it more and more complex as you go. This will teach you the basics on your own terms in the way you learn.

You would be surprised how much code you can have with 5 lights and 5 switches.

I learned a lot this way when I was starting out with no PLC experience didn't take me long to be a self-proclaimed master lol.

Once you are confident in your basic skills then go after those projects again and I bet you roll them up and smoke them.
:)