Barcode display on Siemens Basic Panel

Taco

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I need to display an EAN128 barcode on a 7" basic panel from Siemens. The string is in a DB and is 8 characters long (e.g. "40012345"). I can't find anywhere a tip on how to do this. I use Tia Portal V14.
Anyone an idea?

Thanks.

I am unfamiliar with the Siemens HMI line.
Can you import/use external fonts in the Siemens software?
I have done this in CMore HMIs.

Hi Kwade,

You mean that the barcode is just another font for the display?

It *COULD* be.

I was able to import a 3-of-9 font as a replacement of a supported font for the CMORE. I have no idea if Siemens uses file-based fonts.
Given an image-based scanner, it a barcode font COULD be scanned from a HMI.

AD forum thread

I have not commissioned any project using this method.
First - the free font is not licensed for this purpose.
Second - maintaining this font through all future sw/hw revs would prove tedious.
Third - I have not had a requirement to display a barcode of an HMI -or scan a barcode from an HMI.

Last edited:
Correct me if i'm wrong but:

You cannot turn a string e.g. "40012345" into a code 128, just by changing the font, you'll need a generator.

Barcodes made with code 39 are free, but need a * before and after the code, so the scanner can identify the barcode.
I've never tried to change the standard fonts of a Siemens HMI, we use our SCADA to display a barcode and most barcodes are printed on labels.
We've encountered some difulculty with scanning barcode from a screen, because of the reflection.

Hope this helps a bit

Hi Kwade,

I installed the EAN128 font on my PC, and now I can use it in Tia Portal. Just don't know if it is that easy just using the font. Arn't there any control characters for the barcode reader who has to read the barcode from the screen?

I guess I know as soon as I have the reader :)

Thnxs.

Hi Patrick,

I thought so. I have downloaded a 128 font and installed it on my PC. I can use it now as extra font in Tia. The customer uses a camera for reading the barcode from the screen. They do this at more locations and it works. It's just the first time I have to show the barcode on the HMI using Tia Portal. I know that barcodes have to be generated, but where can I find a generator for Tia Portal? That's my problem.
I was hoping someone could help.

Thanks for your reply, vanuit het mooie Enschede :)

I know that barcodes have to be generated, but where can I find a generator for Tia Portal? That's my problem.
I was hoping someone could help.

This definitely isn't built in functionality.

So they have a permanently mounted camera pointed at the HMI to read a barcode? This seems really backwards. Can't you just send the string directly? Even if it isn't all Ethernet, there should be a way to make that work.

Correct me if i'm wrong but:

You cannot turn a string e.g. "40012345" into a code 128, just by changing the font, you'll need a generator.

Barcodes made with code 39 are free, but need a * before and after the code, so the scanner can identify the barcode.
I've never tried to change the standard fonts of a Siemens HMI, we use our SCADA to display a barcode and most barcodes are printed on labels.
We've encountered some difulculty with scanning barcode from a screen, because of the reflection.

Hope this helps a bit

You are likely correct on the 128 font requiring a generator. I do not know. Which is why I stated that the barcode that I used was a 3-of-9.
You ARE correct that with a 3-of-9 you need a * for the guard bars.
The reflection of a HMI is a problem. I would recommend an imaging scanner if you need to do this. I had ZERO success with a led/mirror scanner.

Last edited:
Hi mk42,

I agree. But our client wants us to implement data logging in 3 fases.
Fase1: count the production for orders, shifts, and hourly. Leave them in the PLC for about a week before overwriting. But they stil want some data in their ERP system, so we have to put a barcode on the screen (temporaly, until fase 4) they can read with the camera.
In fase 4 we have data logging and connection with the ERP, but till then ........ o_O

The barcode is generated through a VBscript in the HMI. It works with the code128.ttf. The font was installed on my PC and from there I could download it to the HMI panel. The VBscript generates a string, and the display field has the code128 font as textformat property.

It works like a charm :p

Sorry for the late reaction. I was out of the office a few days.

Script

The barcode is generated through a VBscript in the HMI. It works with the code128.ttf. The font was installed on my PC and from there I could download it to the HMI panel. The VBscript generates a string, and the display field has the code128 font as textformat property.

It works like a charm :p

Sorry for the late reaction. I was out of the office a few days.

Hello.

Could you share the VBscript for TIA PORTAL?

Thanks in advance.