RSLogix 5000 and FactoryTalk View Studio Question

tranmeister

Scenario:

I just started PLC programming and started a traffic light project and currently using RSLogix 5000 and FactoryTalk View Studio.

The current moment, I finished my PLC coding and the logic works correctly without the FactoryTalk View Studio. I started integrating it into the FactoryTalk View Studio. I am using a multistate indicator in the Factory Talk View Studio, which will change states from 0 (green), 1 (yellow), 2 (red).

I have a tag Indicator which is both inside the RsLogix 5000 and FactoryTalk View Studio.

The problem is that the destination will only store one number. I was wondering if there was a solution to this? For example, if i make separate Mov functions, to move the source into the destination, each destination tag will have the same number (the multistate indicator has only one tag). I would like to make the destination have different numbers ranging from 0-2.

Am i using the wrong function? Is there a way to store different numbers in the destination rather then the set number when you first create the mov function?

Last edited:
The multistate indicator will display the state that corresponds to the contents of a tag that is of type sin, int, or dint. When you say destination, do you meant the tag that the indicator is reading?

PS: or you can post your code or screen snapshots so we get a better idea of what you have so far.

Yes, i am referring to the tag the indicator is reading.

I am trying to create the logic so when a source is TrafficLight1 is 0, it stores a 2 to TL1Activate. But later on, when a timer activates, I would like to move onto the next logic, and store a 1 into TL1Activate. At the current moment, it will only store a 2 because in the Mov Function, I had to write the set value of 2 to it. Is there a way for me to change the destination values?

Capture1.jpg Capture3.PNG

The mov function is the correct instruction, however it is the logic proceeding it to enable the move that you need to work on. For every state the indicator has, you'll have at least one move instruction/rung for that state.

I have another issue that just arose.

Current State:

My program at the current moment cycles through red yellow and green lights.
My new issue is that i am trying to find a method where if a car comes up to the light, I would need to adjust the timing of the lights to the car.
At the current moment, i am lost on how to tackle the issue.

newsnip.jpg newsnip2.jpg newsnip3.jpg

If a car comes up the light, should i make more timers? How would i interrupt the current lights? For example, right now i would like to have the lights run continuously until I activate the car. Is there a way to make it so that it cancels the continuously running and operates according to the new car? Should i make JSR? like if a car comes up, cancels everything else and go to the JSR?

like for example, if the light was red. if a car arrives and there is no other car, i would like to make it auto green.

Last edited:
Well, you're trying to code it before you have the design complete. Your questions on how you want it to function should be written down in a functional specification before you start coding. A functional spec does not have to be any more than a list of how the process will function.

i attached the wrong pictures by accident.

"I took your advice and drew a schematic on a piece of paper. I made some changes to my code.

I got stuck again. I made it so that when i activate the car, a new timer adjusts the lights on the north and east side. After running the code, it starts off well for the first cycle, but if i keep it running for 5 minutes, all of the lights and timers get messed up. I was wondering if you have any suggestions?"

attemp.jpg attempt1.jpg attempt2.jpg attempt3.jpg