why do you like doing? what you do.

I love the challenge of making things work, especially if others have tried and failed. I like that every day is different. I get to set my own schedule, I can work from home (sometimes), I have great work/life balance, and I make more money than any other job I've had.

+1 on this - especially the part of making something run that others have not been able to.

And when the other is supposedly better educated or more qualified than I am, I grin bigger.

+1 on this - especially the part of making something run that others have not been able to.

And when the other is supposedly better educated or more qualified than I am, I grin bigger.

Or, you provide functionality that a customer has never had, and had NO IDEA that it could be done.:p

Maybe I should try to figure out the answer to life the universe and everything. Quantum mechanics is a good start.
Deep thought took too long and failed.

Excellent book series. I just recently passed the large hardcover off to a friend.
I would offer that Deep Thought did NOT fail, but that the mice failed to consider the capabilities of the computer itself.

Unfortunately I don't get to do ground up builds really anymore, but overall the sense of accomplishment you get from figuring out something that you've never encountered before.

I love that quite often you are faced with an issue that you've never dealt with before, and you (barring other tasks) are allowed to focus on it and in the process become intimately familiar with the machine/process/mechanics of how it works.

Any time you can jump into the middle of nowhere and find the way out, I find it extremely rewarding.

I am passionate about my work. I come from another background and have left big corporate and good pay for a small family owned business where I know all my colleagues by name. I have not regretted the radical career change for a minute. For me there is a deep gratifying feeling to see the fruits of my labour make a dead machine come to life and do what it is supposed to do. Since we are a small business, it is very straight forward to get back to my colleagues for any issues in the mechanical design that inhibit good control. I like to be at the intersection between mechanical, electrical and control. Yes, I love my job, would not want to do anything else.

there are a lot of reasons i love automation and control engineering, i love programming, testing and comissioning, i love to see a necesity to be resolved with automation, each project is something new, i never get into monotony in my job, always learning, always knowing new people in each project from all the world, traveling, contributing to the development of my country. i am happy to be what i am and i would never change anything about what i decided to study and do for living.

why do you like doing?
-> because I don't like doing nothing

what you do.
-> this and that or being a Jack of all trades

Now without joking: I like what I'm doing because I feel good about it. I started out being a mere electrician cabling machines according to plan. But when the PLCs got in to those machines I got interested because I didn't (and still don't) like being a trained monkey doing stuff because. I simply wanted to know what I was doing. I apparantly showed enough effort to learn so they let me design and make machines. But 31 years back I broke my back and wasn't able to do the handywork any more. So when I got the chance to become a trainer I took it. At first I trained electricians to use and program PLC. And now I train sailors to do all the electrical maintenance on board ships. I've been in training for 24 years and 7 months now.

At the end of the year I will take another step and I'll switch function again. From Januari 2nd on I'll be guiding new trainers in industrial maintenance. I hope I'll be able to do that for the next 6 to 12 years and after that I'll retire (if the government lets me) and find something else to do again...

(if the government lets me)

Hi Jean can you elaborate further?

Like others (before I started on my own) I got bored so I needed to find different things to do, so I learned everything I could so I could repair anything that broke.... certified welder, served apprenticeship in machinist union, learned HVAC, played with electronics and electricity my whole life, then got into programming

I like to troubleshoot... for me when a machine is not working and I know nothing about the machine or process is the fun part, to be able to walk up to a machine learn it and fix it regardless of what is wrong

I don't much anymore. Probably because I was an under paid code monkey locked in a cubicle for nearly two decades.

I really enjoy troubleshooting though. It kinda my gift.

In the perfect job now. My boss is an awesome process engineer. makes all the difference.

After 15+ years I still learn something everyday. It's also provided a very good living for my family and I do enjoy each day.

can any one suggest how can i use micro logic 1400 for analog input? i have only micro logic 1400 controller box, i don't have any expansion module so how can i read sensor value ? and how to mention (what to use) in programming software?

and the days you don't like it