Access to PLC and HMI from remote developer

RMore

I am working on a PLC based project and would like to give temperary access to the PLC and HMI to a consultant who is located remotely and is outside our corporate network. I have a laptop with wifi access to the internet and am using my network port to connect to just the HMI and PLC via an Ethernet switch. Is there a software application that will tunnel out to the consultants computer and give him access to the PLC and HMI via the network?

The PLC is a M340 (using Unity Pro) and the HMI is a Magelis (using Vijeo Designer).

I found a standalone product that will do this, supposedly without requiring IT support. However, I only need something temperary, so I was wondering if I can do the same thing using my laptop.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
can you bridge your lan and wlan networks to eachother.
im not sure if this is possible or not.

The consultant needs to be able to use his Unity Pro and Vjieo applications to connect to the devices in order to upload the programs.

I was wondering about using a general service like logmein or gotomypc, however, I'm not sure about whether these services allow the client computer to access devices on a seperate network than the one used for the service.

Does anyone have experience or an example of this?

Like Don mention, install Teamviewer on your laptop and give it secured password. Connect your laptop to the network switch that allows you access to the M340 and the Magellis. Make sure that you have access to the internet from your laptop when doing this.

Ask the consultant to install Teamviewer also on his computer and share the password of your laptop with him. Now he can connect to your computer via the internet and use the Unity Pro and Vjieo applications you have installed on your machine to get the uploads he requires.

Ultimately he can transfer the files from your laptop computer to his computer via the internet.

Last edited:
I don't have Unity Pro or Vijeo installed on my machine. The consultant has the tools, not me (no money ion the budget for the development software ... ug). The solution I'm looking for requires that the IP addresses of the PLC and HMI be made are available to the applications runnning on the remote machine. e Won has a hardware device that has this capability, however, it requires adding hardware (which is alos not inthe budget ... ug ug ).

I was hoping for a VPN solution that creates an outgoing connection from a laptop connected to the internet thru a factory network(via wifi), while also being connected to the ethernet switch inside the machine on a seperate network(via ethernet). The outgoing connection is required so that there is no conflicts with the firewall.
Unfortunately, I'm not an IT or network guy so I'm not sure what type of utilities might be available that gives this capability.