FTView SE & ME

If that's the case, he's definitely going to be SOL without either a file structure or an APA...

Is there a temporary file structure created on the versaview when it's RUNNING the mer? I seem to remember being able to copy some .gpx files from a PC that was running station one time to take a shortcut in rebuilding a program, but it's been years...

That seems to be the moral of the story here Logan...."It's been years"

If the APA from the sister machine is 'same-ish', then yeah i'd either replace w/ a PVP or buy a new license for ME station.(Or check to see if the station license was kept in support)

Yeah with the sister line APA you should be able to rebuild the program with minimal work. If you're lucky, they even used the same naming scheme in the PLCs with tags (or data table addressing if it's SLCs), but if not at least the layouts are all done. All you'd have to do is update the addressing.

Good luck!

If that's the case, he's definitely going to be SOL without either a file structure or an APA...

Is there a temporary file structure created on the versaview when it's RUNNING the mer? I seem to remember being able to copy some .gpx files from a PC that was running station one time to take a shortcut in rebuilding a program, but it's been years...

It's possible, yes. There's a technote to that effect. But if you have a "sister machine" running a similar project, it's almost certainly going to be faster and induce far fewer aneurysms to go that route instead.

Ahh, so the plot thickens. I have an apa from a sister machine, but it's been upgraded to a PVPlus running ME 7.0. So from what I'm reading, it may be time to junk the VersView and replace it with a PVPlus and build a new runtime from the sister machines APA. Does that make sense?

If you found the correct apa file you may be able to create a runtime file that is version 3.1. Even though the apa is version 7 you can still create older mer files that are used for runtime. Keep in mind if there is any runtime security it will be located on a different tab. Good luck.

Take a look at this thread, which mentions how to restore a running project back into FactoryTalk View Studio
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=90205

That will let you get back the screens (GFX files) and the images.
You will have to recreate HMI tag database, macros, parameter files, and alarms.

Open/load the project in ME Station (don't need to run it). Then you can copy the temporary project folder out; use that for import.

If for some miracle reason that computer has FTView Studio installed on it, you should try to restore the project there. Otherwise, any FTView Studio Machine Edition should be okay.

If you found the correct apa file you may be able to create a runtime file that is version 3.1. Even though the apa is version 7 you can still create older mer files that are used for runtime. Keep in mind if there is any runtime security it will be located on a different tab. Good luck.

Although it may look like a sister project, you can't know if the screens are identical.

You could restore that "sister" APA to build a starting project (one with alarms, tags, and other files).
Duplicate that project for your edits.
Delete all the displays from the "edit" project.
Then import in the recovered screens from your VersaView computer.

Although it may look like a sister project, you can't know if the screens are identical.

You could restore that "sister" APA to build a starting project (one with alarms, tags, and other files).
Duplicate that project for your edits.
Delete all the displays from the "edit" project.
Then import in the recovered screens from your VersaView computer.

Believe it or not, they are nearly identical other than IP addresses and Machine ID Labels. I am waiting now for the opportunity to download the new runtime file.