Allen Bradley HMI

Chopperman

Dear Sirs/Madams

Recently, I received an technical question from my customer regarding of Allen Bradley HMI.

Allen Bradley HMI (PanelView 2711-TC1) is possible to write "I" address of Allen Bradley PLC(PLC 5/40 and SLC 540) without I/O module attached.

I am not sure this is true or not.

I guess this works for testing PLC ladder program (Emulator).

I just want to confirm whether it is true that Allen Bradley PLC accepts a Input command from Allen Bradley HMI?
As far as I know, Input without I/O module cannot be turn on because it is refreshed by PLC.

I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Yes, you can set bits in the I file if a module is not installed in that slot. You can write to the O file and the value will stay if there are no PLC instructions referencing that address.

Keith

In order to run a SLC 5/0x CPU with a missing I/O module, the slot must be disabled or there will be a fault. The PLC-5 doesn't care about missing modules.

The 2711-TC1 panelview only communicated via remote I/O. It looks like a remote rack to the PLC so it does take up I/O memory space. Since this seems to be a nostalgia trip it would be no different than connecting a 1778-ASB to your PLC 2/20 via blue hose.

That thing is beyond its life expectancy. I believe it's officially silver series status and obsolete.

Thank you very much for everyone Mr.Kamenges. Mr.OkiePC, Mr.grs!!

Your replies help me understand Allen Bradley HMI.

I have 2 questions

Does the function works in the configuration that the 2711-TC1 connecting to PLC 5/40 or SLC540 via DH+? (My customer connects the 2711-TC1 connecting to PLC 5/40 or SLC540 via DH+)
How about RS-232C?

Is it possible to use "I" file for displaying Pop-up window, changing screen page, displaying Alarm Message and etc like HMI Internal Memory?

I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.

#1 - No, only Remote I/O is supported. As for RS232, use that port for downloading your configuration.

#2 - I suppose, but I haven't used these terminals for close to 17 years now.

Here's the link to the terminal user manual:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2711-um011_-en-p.pdf

Here's the link to the software user manual:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2711-um012_-en-p.pdf

Since the terminals are obsolete your best bet is to read up and answer your own questions.

If HMI is used as Remote I/O, there may be external switches or something like that. However, I haven't heard about external switches from my customer...

My customer tried to connect AB PLC to one of the competitor HMIs via RS-232C D-Sub9pin.

Under the configuration, the communication works well; however, there is one problem that the competitor HMI cannot write anything into "I" file.

I thought it was refreshed by PLC or command data to PLC was different.

Do you have any idea about this matter?

Under the configuration, the communication works well; however, there is one problem that the competitor HMI cannot write anything into "I" file.

This is not a 100% rule, but take it as such.

Never write directly to the Input or Output file in AB (and most other) PLC's. In AB's case, it is generally not possible at all on the SLC/Micrologix line, partially possible but unsuccessful on the PLC5 line, and the same on the Logix PAC platform.

For the SLC, most IO servers won't even attempt the write (or read in some cases).

As a rule, only write from an HMI to internal memory locations.

One exception is if the HMI actually appears as a remote IO drop, but even then, you don't usually address the IO point explicitly in the HMI.

Remote I/O Scanner

Dear All,

Thank you very much for helping me understand about AB HMI and PLC.

Last week, I asked my customer who works with Allen Bradley.

He told me that it may be possible to write input if the configuration uses Remote I/O scanner.

Therefore,

AB HMI 2711-TC1(DH+) <-----> Remote I/O scanner + AB PLC5/40 or SLC540

My customer has never tried this configuration.

Have you ever tried this configuration?

Best Regards,
Tadashi Koshida

I am using a PanelView 600 with a SLC 5/03. This was a re-purposed machine and it came to me with the PanelView set up as 8 input words and 8 output words. I am using SLC outputs as signals to the PanelView, and PanelView function buttons as signals to the SLC.

Let us clarify again: 2711-TC1 terminals use only the Remote I/O (RIO) protocol. This is one Page 1 of Chapter 1 of the user manual.

You can connect them to any RIO scanner: PLC-5, SLC-500 (using the 1747-SN) or ControlLogix (using the 1756-DHRIO or 1756-RIO).

You cannot connect them to the DH+ port of any controller.

Because they use the Remote I/O protocol, their data is exchanged as Input and Output data files, as well as Block Transfer data.

Remote I/O Scanner

Thank you Mr. GlennA and Mr. Ken.

Dear Mr. Ken

According to you, PLC-5, SLC-500 (using the 1747-SN) or ControlLogix (using the 1756-DHRIO or 1756-RIO) can connect to any RIO Scanner.

Doesn't PLC-5(PLC5/40) need to have Remote I/O Scanner Module like 1747-SN and 1756-DHRIO/1756-RIO?

The PLC5 5/40 contains built-in communication ports which could be configured to operate as either a Data Highway Plus(DH+) node or a Universal Remote I/O Scanner/Adapter.

Last edited:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=71771&highlight=panelview+600+error+904

If you search for the thread "PanelView 600 error 904" you will see my programs for a SLC 5/03, 1747 RIO Scanner, and a PanelView 600 2711-K6C1. You will need RSLogix 500 and PanelBuilder 32 to read them. This is not directly applicable to your PLC and HMI, but it shows how I used 8 input words and 8 output words between the PLC and HMI.