Endress-Hauser FMP53 blocking distance question

BinderNut

Wondering if anyone here has commissioned an FMP53 guided-radar probe and is familiar with the current output when the sensor is in blocking distance.

We've got an existing piece of equipment that uses one and it works as it should. But, when the tank level goes into the blocking distance the output level drops to minimum(4mA).

Is there any parameter to change the blocking distance signal from minimum to max? I'm not finding anything in the docs and I'm guessing that we're working with a limitation of the probe itself and not the transmitter module.

Thanks!
Mike in ND

There is a failure parameter in the analog out setup (We're using just the 4-20mA, not the Hart). It is set to go max on failure. But, that's just a failure in the analog section of the transmitter the way it seems.

When the tank level hits the blocking distance, the displayed value drops to 0.0" and the analog out also goes to the minimum 3.95Ma (4-20 NAMUR).

We do have it set to hold last value if it encounters a loss of echo situation. Doesn't seem like tank level entering the blocking distance causes a loss of echo though.

I'm not sure what causes the 0.0" indicated level when it's in the blocking distance. That's what we'd like to change.

Thought about that. I think we'd need to use Hart comms to get warnings or alarms useable at the PLC level though.

Here's the stickler.
-The sensor 4-20 analog goes directly to a Powerflex70 VFD for the pump it's controlling.
-The VFD passes that 4-20 on it's output to a Micrologix PLC.
-The VFD uses the internal PID to control the speed of the pump based on level.
-It's sort of a temporary install using the manufacturer provided controls.

This is just a temporary install of the machine as a trial in our plant. A full integrated install of the machine is in the works but the final engineering isn't finished.
Without sharing too many details, after project completion this small storage tank and level sensor ideally will go away and our pump output would go directly back to the equipment supplying the fluids we're processing in a continuous flow loop instead of a batch process loop.

How many analog outputs does the unit have? If two, could you set the second one to alarm in the SD area and send 20 mA to PLC.