Import data

CaspianSage

For PLC 5/20 DH+ RIO and DF1 - No Ethernet

Looking for information on importing data but have not found a way to import data to a data table.

Is there a way to import values from a file like a csv or txt file to a specific data table-
Integer and floating point?

Thank you

RSLinx Classic Lite will not work with DDE/OPC. You will need RSLinx Classic OEM, Professional, or Gateway version to do it. Open RSLinx, click Help, then search for "Microsoft Excel". There are explanations of using Excel to read and write data to a PLC.

Can you do a download?

If you save the program as an an ASCII file (.X5), towards the end are the various data tables with their values. It takes some effort, but it's possible to get Excel to duplicate the format, with the data you want. Copy, paste over, import and download, and you've got the values in the data tables that you want.

I also have this niggling memory that RSLogix 5, alone of all the Rockwell products, had the capability to do "partial downloads". How "partial" I don't recall, and don't have the software loaded to test it for you.

RSLinx Classic Lite will not work with DDE/OPC. You will need RSLinx Classic OEM, Professional, or Gateway version to do it. Open RSLinx, click Help, then search for "Microsoft Excel". There are explanations of using Excel to read and write data to a PLC.

Okie I should have said rs linx was not an option, When I searched for a solution for this I was already aware Linx Lite was not an option but I thought there might be another way.

I would say most of the guys on this forum are much more advanced in PLC programming than I am so I was hoping ......

I could do it with my DB module and list the data to the port with hyper terminal but who wants to go back to 1921 .... I can probably type the data in faster then I would get the DB Module program to work,, Last time I used one was in the mid 80s

Aardwizz .X5 does not save as an ASCII file but thanks for the suggestion.

Can you do a download?

If you save the program as an an ASCII file (.X5), towards the end are the various data tables with their values. It takes some effort, but it's possible to get Excel to duplicate the format, with the data you want. Copy, paste over, import and download, and you've got the values in the data tables that you want.

I also have this niggling memory that RSLogix 5, alone of all the Rockwell products, had the capability to do "partial downloads". How "partial" I don't recall, and don't have the software loaded to test it for you.

.PC5 seems to save in a more "excel friendly" format. This is doable if you want to change everything for a one time download and not continuously on the fly (where you may want OPC).

Upload your existing online data files, save, go offline and modify, then download.

If you export to a PC5 you will see all data files, and all logic. You can delete it to what you want.

The following examples can be saved into .PC5 files. They can be opened when you have an existing offline project open and will overwrite the first 10 words of N7 (regardless of the size of N7, or logic).

COMPLETE will cause RSLogix to warn you that it is a complete image
START PLC5_80 SERIES_E REV_K COMPLETE

DATA N7:9
% N7:0 % 1 2 655 3456 0 0 0 0 0 0

PARTIAL will cause it to import without warning.
START PLC5_80 SERIES_E REV_K PARTIAL

DATA N7:9
% N7:0 % 1 2 655 3456 0 0 0 0 0 0

My mistake -- as Ravioli pointed out, the ASCII file type is .PC5, not .X5 (this is what I get for not having the software to get the right answer, and doing a too-fast Google to get what I thought was the answer.)

Ravioli's built on the basic idea of what I suggested. Like he said, it's OK for a one-time change of data, like creating an entire recipe library; not so good if you want to keep changing parameters with each new recipe.

For a one-time or infrequent operation, the RSLogix 5 partial download feature would work but I am pretty sure you have to put the PLC in program mode which might be a show stopper. It allows you to select individual data files and ladder files. You would have to select whole data files, not parts of data files.

PC5 it is

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Ravioli's suggestion to save offline as PC5 did the trick.

I opened it first in Open Office Calc, inserted the data for a whole new floating point file, File Number type and the data for each word.

Saved it back but I forgot to filter the output when I saved it so it put commas in every blank space making it unusable.

Then I opened it in Editpad (a better line editor then notepad)
And inserted it again.

I created the new file; F24 in editpad not rs-logix

Loaded it into RS Logix 5 and there it is- Perfect solution for a one time deal.

Having it in Open Office Calc will allow me to perform some anylytics of the data and I think I can tweak the save so I can do it all and re-save with calc.

Okie I am going to try your solution at some point just to get a handle on it.

Thanks everyone, Especially Ravioli for a great solution, it took less than 5 minutes to add a file with 255 words of data.

Here's to you: :site:

Last edited: