Yaskawa a1000

bendanator

Hello everyone,

I am new to Yaskawa drives and I’m struggling on getting the drive to run the right rpm. My experience with other drives is I can setup the rpm in the parameters. But I don’t see that option in the list for Yaskawa. I’m running a single screw extruder just for testing and training for techs but I’m failing to set it up my self. I’m not using an encoder but I still thought it would be more accurate. It’s a 1425 rpm motor at 400vac. But how does the drive know it’s a 1425 motor? I here a ton of great things about Yaskawa so I know it can be done. Thanks for any help.

The A1000 is a great drive
as to your question the drive uses the Parmenters you enter
from your post 1425rpm makes me think you have a 4 pole motor
at base Freq 60hz the base Speed would be 1800rmp the 1425 would be a high slip motor
the parmenters you need to look at ar
E1-00 Base Frequency set to 60
E2-04 number of motor poles in your case 4
E2_ motor rated current ( from nameplate)
E4-01 set to 2 Open Loop Vector
the run auto tune from the keypad
you can scale the display and setpoints to almost anything you want
motor rpms line speed whatever

use the drive wizard software included with the drive to get it up it's much easier then using the keypad

I agree that it looks like a 50hz motor, 4 pole 50 hz would be a base speed of 1500rpm
but that doesn't change anything both 60hz and 50hz use the same Volts / Hertz to determine speed if you enter 50 in the base frequency and 400 volts as the rated line voltage the calculation are exactly the same. neither one will run exactly at the set point speed without an encoder feedback you will have motor slip at 1500 rpm to 1425 75rpm
the A1000 will actually increase the output frequency as load on the motor increases I have actually seen an A1000 output 64hz with a max freq setting of 60. they try to maintain the requested motor rpm as load increases.

Weird problem

I’m having a weird problem now I got the drive to run. The drive sayings it’s running at 4 amps but my amp clamp says 16 amps on one leg 18 on another and 20 amps on the third legs? I have never seen these happen before!

Thanks again for any help,

when that happened how much was your output frequency? usually AC clamp current meter has frequency accuracy range , if the output frequency is out of this range, will get reading error.

I should mention that the drive is brand new. I also realized that the drive somehow is setup for air compressor. A1-06 but won’t let me change the settings.

You can't read the output current with a clamp on meter
the are designed for Sine wave at 60Hz the output of a VFD is not Sine wave and the freq is not 60Hz
just trust the VFD Display

Is there anything I need to change to help with torque at low speeds I’m talking less then 50 rpm? I have the drive set for general purpose on a1-06. Thanks again for all the help. I’m just need the amps to go down a bit and I will have it ready to run.

if you need to control torque at low speed then you need to
add an encoder to the motor and an encoder feedback card.
change the A1000 to Flux Vector mode
then it will give you 100% torque at Zero Speed
you can exceed the the 100% torque a little depending motor cooling
I have done this any times it works great