Siemens V90 STO

jelle.geerolf

I'm building a setup where I control 3 servos with 3 V90 servo drives from Siemens.
To make an emergency stop, the V90 has STO.
But I don't really know how I should use the STO function.
There are 3 connection points called STO1 STO+ and STO2.

And is it possible to connect the STO connections from the 3 V90 drives to each other so I could give an emergency stop to all 3 of them?

Kind regards

I thought so, but is it possible that I use the STO+ contact from 1 drive and use it to switch all of the sto1 and sto2 contacts from the 3 drives?
like this:
Code:
                  |---no contact---sto1 (drive 1)
                  |            |---sto1 (drive 2)
                  |            |---sto1 (drive 3)
sto+ (drive 1)----|
                  |---no contact---sto2 (drive 1)
                  |            |---sto2 (drive 2)
                  |            |---sto2 (drive 3)

It looks to me like the STO+ should be a 24V signal coming out of the drive. (24 V goes in through the same connector). Use relays/safety relays between STO+ and then either STO1 or STO2, depending on what input channel you are using. Then open the relay to initiate the function.

Don't see any good reason that you cant tie the signals together. To use STO1 on all three, the relay(s) would just have to open the the 24V signal going into the STO1 terminal for all three.

I'm not familiar with this drive but I wouldn't necessarily assume that STO+ is just 24V. It could be some kind of pulsed signal to detect short circuits. In this case you would have to use individual NC contacts for each drive. But if it is in fact 24v then you could parallel them through two sets of contacts as you indicated--we do this all the time with STO inputs on Kollmorgen drives. The drive manual should specify all this.

SHould have probably mentioned that I'm not real familiar with it either. That's what it looks like is happening just based on a quick look at the manual.

Hello,

I have just now finished one machine with V90 without problem....
I used Epos positioner inside V90 and Drive library v14....

Only did one project with 3 v90s. The good part is you can program them from a pc so copying settings to other drives is a lot faster than the old yaskawas I've used before. There seem to be a lot of options and settings possible as well.

The main thing that made me choose them is that I'm able to change speed, position, acceleration on the fly from the plc (used for linear sides).

Do you know where i can find a comparison table between Sinamics V20 V60 V70 V90 ? Which technical specs differentiate them ? Which applications are suitable for each ?
Thank you

Do you know where i can find a comparison table between Sinamics V20 V60 V70 V90 ? Which technical specs differentiate them ? Which applications are suitable for each ?
Thank you

I'm willing to bet a Siemens sales rep would love the chance to tell you...