Siemens novice trying to download

Siemens managed to talk us through getting online with Simatic Manager.

On the 840D, there are two rows of LEDs. Of the left-hand row, just the top one was on, solid green (+5V, I think). Of the right-hand row, the top green one was on solid (PR), the next one was solid red (PS), the next one was flashing red (PF), the next one was on solid amber (PFO) and the bottom LED was also on solid amber (-). The 7-segment display was showing 6.

The Siemens' technician had me turn rotary switch S4 from position 0 to 3, then press the Reset button. This didn't seem to do anything, so then he had me turn S4 from 3 to 2, back to 3, then back to 2 before pressing the Reset button again. Again, it didn't seem to do anything, so then he had me turn rotary switch S3 from 0 to 1 before pressing the Reset button again. I'm not entirely sure that I've remembered the exact sequence but it was certainly something similar. We ended up with the two top LEDs on (5V & PR) and I was able to get online immediately.

We're still not out of the woods though, as he informed me that we need to find some archive files that should be stored on the machine's B&R industrial PC and carry out a restore procedure that reinstates the PLC & NC software. We're hoping to enlist the help of the machine manufacturer in this step.

Digging this one up again. Same problem with the MPI address too high error, and wrong comm set as <active>. I somehow have Profibus/USB/local adapter all showing <active> and no success getting them cleared. Although when I try to go online with a configured MPI (Auto option fails diagnostic BTW), I see activity (couple long on/off cycles on MPI adapter). But then kicks back error. Using 187.5, 2 for node address of PLC.

I'm working with an older 318-2 DP that has two comm option, of which I've been trying the X1 MPI/DP. I've got a red LED on the SF and a blinking red LED on the BUS2F, but I'm hoping this is just because I have this on the bench without any X2 cconnection.

I'd like to set this back to 'factory' if possible with the front switch, but I can't find a procedure for this model.

I'm also working on reinstalling Step 7 on a clean system without any WinCC RT or TIA to try again.

So I did find the solution. In one of two items, which i might try to confirm later.

I installed Step 7 5.6 on a clean system. I still could not get the PG/PC interface to flip off Profibus as <active>. Wouldn't do it. So I went with what it was giving me and tried to go online with Profibus <active> connected to the X2/DP port at 1.5 rate. And that was that. Works using Siemens adapter and Cheap Chinese knockoff.