getting a siemens plc system to talk over wifi

jeramiah

Hi all,

I am trying to get a Siemens 315-2 PNDP PLC and a Siemens ET200M (153-4) Profinet system to communicate to each other over wifi (I am using a MOXA AWK-3121-US wireless switch. however I am having a difficult time getting it to work. I can ping to each devices ip address. but when i view the siemens hardware config, it says the IM153-4 is configured but not available. If i connect directly to the PLC and the IM153-4 with a CAT5 cable, it will communicate just fine.

Is there some setting that I am missing?

any helpful remedies are welcomed.

Thank you

I am not an expert in wireless Profinet, but I think that you need Profinet-rated wifi equipment in order for it to happen. And it must be configured so that the topology is known throughout the project.

I've never tried Profinet over WiFi but I have used standard ethernet switches rather than Siemens switches. I think that the topology only needs to be defined if you are using some of the higher level protocols such as IRT.

Does the switch contain a firewall/packet filter and, if so, is it rejecting traffic to and from slave address? Is the switch set up for IP Spoofing / "Network Translation"?

I'm interested to know the solution to this one.

Nick

I've seen a MOXA AWK-3121 working with an S7 PLC + ET200S but unfortunately don't have details of the MOXA configuration.

Hi,

I have no experience on the MOXA products, but you may have some kind of protocol problems which is not affecting the ICMP protocol (which the PING command uses).
What you could do is to try to adjust (increase) the "update time"-parameter in HW-config from default 1 ms to 8 or 16 ms. You find the parameter by double-clicking the slave. Not sure if it helps you out, but it could be worth to try.

Profinet.jpg

Hello,

Even I am also trying to achieve the same. I can ping my ET200M but CPU is not detecting any ET200M connected to it. Did u find any solution so far?