What is it about some applications that require a physical COM port?

For those cases where the hardware you need to connect to was current when an RS232 serial COM port was the state of the art, you may need to maintain a computer that was state of the art at the same time. As I suggested in an earlier post the quest for a one-size-fits-all solution using today's technology may be overly ambitious.
That being said, you can carve out a lucrative niche for yourself by being the person on the leading edge of obsolete technology. I have had several good gigs supporting the old stuff.

I pulled the trigger on a 16gb ram package for my "retro" Elitebook. The decision not to spend >$1k was easy to make. Hopefully quadrupling the ram will enable the old girl to run multiple copies of herself inside VMs.

Im sure you will do fine with your decision (y)

I still carry a couple laptops just because all software does not play well together and I run a VM on my Windows 10 machine but I carry a Dell e5500 that has a real port... cheap ebay

Also you can find support here for MANY work arounds

PM me your address if you want one of my USB adapters... no charge, they work great im sure you will be happy with it

Happy New Year šŸ»

I pulled the trigger on a 16gb ram package for my "retro" Elitebook. The decision not to spend >$1k was easy to make. Hopefully quadrupling the ram will enable the old girl to run multiple copies of herself inside VMs.

Good choice but you might need a larger drive too. SSD if you don't have one - makes a big difference.

Count on using about 60GB for every win 7 installation. I usually count 100GB per VM that runs windows because you want to be able to use it too and have software installed etc.

Should the question not be, are there any applications today that require a physical COM port ?

I personally only know 2 protocols that required physical COM ports.
Siemens TTY, and its associated RS232/TTY adapter.
AB DH485 and its associated PIC adapter.
For these protocols today there are lowcost alternative adapters with USB. So even for these protocols the need doesnt really exist any more.

Are there any protocol today for which there is only a serial adapter and it requires a real COM port ?

Should the question not be, are there any applications today that require a physical COM port ?

I personally only know 2 protocols that required physical COM ports.
Siemens TTY, and its associated RS232/TTY adapter.
AB DH485 and its associated PIC adapter.
For these protocols today there are lowcost alternative adapters with USB. So even for these protocols the need doesnt really exist any more.

Are there any protocol today for which there is only a serial adapter and it requires a real COM port ?

Agree and that was my point, the only thing I needed a real port in the past 6 months was a Danfoss drive did not have time to see why the USB would not work and I needed to use a PIC for the odd ball baud rate on a 5/03 that I needed to get the program out for a customer, but other then that I have been using VM's (W7) running W10

I also use Step5 for Windows so I use a USB adapter with the TTY adapter

Beside the AB PIC box, I ran into one portable test equipment software that doesn't work unless it's COM1. Good thing that USA19HS USB/Serial adopter comes with software that allows one to select the COM port assignment.

Beside the AB PIC box, I ran into one portable test equipment software that doesn't work unless it's COM1. Good thing that USA19HS USB/Serial adopter comes with software that allows one to select the COM port assignment.

IIRC that is readily configurable in Windows anyway (without bespoke software that is).

Its a tech support cop out

Most GOOD QUALITY usb to serial converters should work.

In defense to support groups they are given difficult situations to deal with, if they aren't confident in what they are doing or whatever they just can't admit it they they don't know whats really going on . .. .so it must be that you need a real com port

I use the Panasonic CF-53 with Win7 32 bit as my workhorse. I have two on hand at all times in addition to a much newer Lenovo P70 and an older Toshiba Tecra with XP for some of the antiques out there.

The CF-53 is a legacy port dream as is. New old stock and refurbished these are worth every penny. I've looked after these and never did try the CF-54, which had serial com db9 as an option rather than standard.

If you need something built today with a com port, I would consider the Dell Rugged 5414 and I would get the one with dual serial and dual ethernet and PCMCIA.

http://www.dell.com/ae/business/p/latitude-14-5414-laptop/pd

I use a Panasonic Toughbook at home and work. They come with native RS232 COM ports set as COM1. You donā€™t have to buy the fully ruggedized unit. My personal is a CF52 that is about 8 years old now and is still going strong so it was well worth the $2300 I paid for it. I replaced the battery 2 years ago and put a 1TB HDD in and Windows10. My work one is a CF53 or 54 hI think) and is a lot slimmer but still very rugged. The newer ones you may have to put the RS232 in as an option, but theyā€™re still available. Alternatively, the manufacturers often have USB ->RS232 adapter for a couple of hundred dollars that will work with their brand. Hope this helps.

I bought an hp 650 G1 that had barely been used off eBay. Has an i5 processor but you can get them with an i7. Real RS232 set as COM1. I added 16gb ram and a SSD. I think i have around $500 in it. If you do go with a 650 G1, they do have some without the serial port, so double check.

Last edited: