Control Logix Redundancy 1756-RM/B

Outrage

Hi all,

I'm setting up a control logix redundant rack and I have a 1756-RM/B module in the rack. I can browse the other components L73 processor and 2x EN2T modules but not the RM/B.

I can't find any details about a specific RM/B EDS file. and I have the question mark / X symbol over this object.

As far as I can see I'm attempting to follow the instructions in the numerous manuals especially 1756-um535.

I'm at the stage where I need to flash all of my components using ControlFlash 12.00.00 I've done the processor but I can't see the 1756-RM/B in control flash, only the RM/A.

I've tried downloading the latest enhanced redundancy bundle which just looked like another copy of Controlflash 12.00.00 and it wouldn't install saying there was a script missing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Lee

Just an update..

I only have RSlinx classic lite on my PC, do I need the full version installing to give me the additional 1756-RM/B components?

Hi jkerekes

Thanks for the reply. Just for clarification, I'm aware that it doesn't show up in RSLogix 5000's project tree it's RSLinx that's the problem. I'm browsing the rack via either of the Ethernet modules I have in there the redundancy module is the only module that linx has a problem with, it has the correct description but the icon is a question mark with a red cross through it as though it's missing an EDS file.

The problem is that I can't find a specific EDS file for the 1756-RM/B suffix. there is plenty of literature and downloads which deal with the /A suffix.

I've downloaded the latest version of the redundancy bundle (which it wont let me install for some reason) and even in the contents text file that only seems to support /A.

Any more comments or ideas will be greatly received?

Cheers,

Lee

TN 133403 - What is in the Redundancy Hardware Bundles 1756-L61RMCN1, 1756-L61RMEN1, shows the /B redundancy module.

Which CLX controller and firmware?

it has the correct description but the icon is a question mark with a red cross through it as though it's missing an EDS file.

In RSLinx Classic and RSWho, the question mark icon without a red 'X' indicates an unknown device, which usually means the EDS file is not installed.

If the icon is a question mark with a red 'X', that indicates an error reading one or more parts of the Identity Object. Usually this means the device is not communicating at all on the backplane or the network.

I'm not sure what to make of a browse that correctly identifies the 1756-RM/B (not just '1756 module') but gives you a red X. That suggests something wrong with the backplane or the 1756-RM.

My recommendation is to simplify the system and install only one 1756-EN2T and one 1756-RM module in the chassis, and try to browse that -RM module.

According to the RA Knowledgebase, the 1756-RM Series B has improved performance over the Series A module, and is generally recommended for use with 1756-L7x controllers. It's being replaced in the future by the even *more* improved 1756-RM2.

Why the EDS server doesn't seem to have a 1756-RM/B file, I don't know. You might have to get that from RA tomorrow when Tech Support opens for business stateside.

Hi, jkerekes and Ken,

I've done for the day 8PM here at the moment but I'll have a look at your suggestions tomorrow.

I have just had another look through 1756UM535 which states:

Beginning with version 20.054, the redundancy module firmware reports back to
the Redundancy Module Configuration Tool (RMCT) as to which version of
the RMCT is compatible. In the case of an incompatibility, the RMCT will show
only the Module Info tab and indicate the version that the firmware is compatible
with.

Am i therefor correct in assuming that RMCT is directly responsible for viewing the card in rslinx rather than an EDS file. Looking at the previous redundancy bundles they all seem to include the firmware updates as well as RMCT whereas the latest one just contains RMCT?

Did you get the "20.054_kit1Enh" firmware bundle ?

I'm not on a Windows box right now so I can't check it, but every time I've downloaded the Redundancy Bundle in the past it has included all the controller, communications, and redundancy module firmware for the specific Redundancy Release, plus the RM Configuration Tool for that specific Redundancy Release.

I think the change that is mentioned in the release notes is that the older firmware kits relied on you installing the RMCT and the ControlFlash kit together to support the Redundancy release; if you wanted to work on a different Redundancy release, you had to install the appropriate version of the RMCT yourself.

Based on my experience, the 1756-RM should still appear in RSWho even if the RMCT utility is not installed.

Hi Chaps,

Just to report that I talked to Rockwell technical and they said not to worry about weather it was an A or B suffix you can use the A suffix to flash both.

I've now flashed both RM/B's, puth processors and all four EN2TR modules as far as I can tell i've used the correct firmware revisions.

At this point I can't get the secondary rack to syncronise with the primary. The secondary rack processor indicates "No project". looking in the RMCT the syncronisation attempts log indicates "Secondary Offline". I have both racks connected via the first EN2TR modules and can see them both in RSlinx. any ideas why I can't get them to syncronise?

Cheers,

Lee

Right, cracked it.

Only had one of the two pairs of EN2TR modules nonnected, when i plugged the second pair into another switch it picked up fine.

Cheers,

Lee

I ran into a similar problem with the ? on the RM2 module (however I am using an RM2/A). Anyway, simple fix. Just right clicked on the unknown module in RSLinx and uploaded the EDS. Now the device is known and the module configuration option appears.