1747-kfc15

NestleMatt

Can I browse from a remote network and be able to go online with the SLC500 processor where the KFC15 card is located?

Thanks,

Matt

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

Yes, going online with the SLC-500 CPU is one of the purposes of the 1747-KFC15. If RSLinx can bridge to the ControlNet network, then it can bridge to the SLC controller.

The -K designation for a Communications module comes from as far back as the 1771-KA, which was a Data Highway (1, not Plus) communications module for the PLC-2 front port link.

The closest functional equivalent to a DF1 to Network module is the 1770-KF2 (DF1 to DH+) box, so the SLC-500 platform DF1 to ControlNet interface got the moniker 1747-KFC, with the "15" added to distinguish ControlNet standard 1.5.

I sold and supported only a small handful of SLC-500 systems with ControlNet, but one of them still runs the busiest bascule drawbridge in the world, just a few blocks from my house.

Ken, I found that I did not have a rs-232 cable connecting processor and the KFC15 card. I did plug my cable in and now the RS-232 light on the processor is blinking green roughly once every three seconds. I am unable to see my processor through controlnet on rslinx. Do you think my dip switches/processor's comm settings are different?

Interesting that you're getting traffic on the RS-232 port at all.

I'd have to read the user manual to see what the default settings are on the module, compared to the SLC-5/03 and its default 19200 8/N/1 DF1 Full Duplex settings.

If you have an RS-232 port on a computer, I recommend configuring the RSLinx DF1 driver so you can establish (or go online to confirm) the speed and framing and protocol settings for the SLC's serial port.

Make sure that your RSLinx Classic has an EDS file registered for the 1747-KFC15, since it needs that to know that it's a communication bridge and that it can send data through it to the CPU.

So my messaging from rslogix 5000 to the SLC processor now works after I plugged in my cable. But can't see it in RSLinx.

What *can* you see in RSLinx Classic ? If you can take, crop, and attach a screenshot that would be ideal.

For modules that do network routing, RSLinx has to know that they can do network routing or it won't show the [+] icon and show the device on the remote network connection.

The 1747-KFC15 was uncommon enough that I don't remember for certain what it looked like in RSLinx and how you targeted your RSLogix 500 network path. I think that it was similar to the 1761-NET-AIC where you got a [+] icon and "drilled down" to see the SLC-500 controller by program name.

mmsnwk.png

I am looking at the card in slot 3.

That's a lot of 1747-KFC15 's ! Thanks very much for posting the screenshot.

Do they all just show the Port B with nothing underneath it ?

Highlight Port B and do a manual "refresh" of the browse, and if you can, watch the Channel 0 serial port status LED.

I haven't worked with these in quite a while so I'm running out of non-general ideas.

Haha yes it is a lot. They were all installed before my time.
Manual refresh does nothing. Are you saying to watch Channel 0 on the processor card? If you are I will not be able to get to it until Monday.

Thanks again for all the help.