1783-natr

Prayder

Lifetime Supporting Member
Got a question, I have gone through the manual numerous times but still not sure on setup. Currently I have the public port assigned 10.5.55.11, the private port assigned to 192.168.1.12 and connected to 192.168.1.1(Processor-CompactLogix) and I have created a NAT Translator rule that says public IP Address 10.5.55.13 looking at 192.168.1.13. According to the manual it says the rule public IP address and private IP address has to be different than the physical public port IP Address and private port IP Address.

Any ideas from anyone?

What are you using for the gateway on the private network?
With your current list, all devices on the private network should be using .12 as the gateway.

I think your almost there. If I remember correctly you need to give the NATR a public and private IP address. So I think in your example;

Public IP address setup for NATR
IP:10.5.55.11
Subnet:255.255.0.0
Gateway-set to router address if you have one

Private IP Address for NATR
IP:192.168.1.12
Subnet:255.255.255.0

Now to set up the route across for access to the CompactLogix

Route: 10.5.55.13 (if this is this is the IP you want the Compactlogix to use on the public side) to 192.168.1.1 (existing Compactlogix IP address)

Set the Compactlogix IP address to:
IP:192.168.1.1
Subnet:255.255.255.0
Gateway:192.168.1.12 (the address of the private side NATR address)

This is all from memory from a unit I set up about a year ago so I could be mistaken. From what I remember is the PLC needs to look at the NATR address the same way you would if it was router on a network. I can check my notes on Monday to verify my assumptions.

Good luck,

Kevin

That's how I've set them up here too Kevin. Better explanation than mine!
Public side subnet to match the rest of the network though.

Oops, your right. I meant to add text after it saying to match the Public IP addresses subnet because it can change depending on the network. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I have been programming and servicing Allen Bradley PLCs for 8 years, but this is the first time i have used a network address translator. Everything seemed like it was set correctly, but the PLC and HMI were not seen by Linx. That is until i set their Gateway addresses to the NATR address! Brilliant!!
Thanks again!