Integer files

goatom

I am studying a Rss file from one of our machine centers that has a Micrologix 1000 processor. In my practice programming sessions I have been using Binary Bits (B file) to control ladder functions. The person who wrote this program appears to have used the N file for ladder programs. Some of the XIO and XIC components have addresses in the N file. From what I can tell there are no whole numbers used for any of the decesions on any of the rungs.

Is this a standard practice in programming and if so is it better than using the B bit files? Or why use the N as opposed to the B files?

Just when I think I have a clue someone throws me a bone.

a bit is a bit is a bit ... the only difference is that the bits in the binary files may be numbered sequentially ... example: B3/412; B3/413; B3/414; etc. ... with the integer files you have to specify the :WORD and then the /BIT to get the addressing job done ... but as long as the addressing is done correctly, then either type of bit can be used for something like a "seal-in" rung or an OSR (One-Shot Rising) status bit, etc. ...

going further ... there is one BIG difference between types of bits ... an Input bit (one whose address starts with I: ) is sort of special ... that's because its status gets updated at the first part of each processor scan cycle ... Step I ... do I have current? ... yes or no? ... what's in the box? ... a 1 or a 0 ...

Last edited:
Bits and bones

Thanks again Ron. Your skills are outstanding in explaining this voodo. I have discovered that a N bit puts out the same amount of smoke as the B bit and have a better understanding each time I work on this.

There is actually a difference in ladder monitoring radix for B (monitored in binary radix) and N (monitored in decimal radix) words.
Still no difference for bits in this aspect.

Sergei Troizky said:
There is actually a difference in ladder monitoring radix for B (monitored in binary radix) and N (monitored in decimal radix) words.
Still no difference for bits in this aspect.

That's not a problem -- you can set it to monitor B's as decimal and N's as binary if you want to...