PLC 5/20 analog I/O

ChadT

Before I start I would like to say I am new to this forum and to PLC programming! If anyone could help me with my problem I would very much appreciate it! I have a PLC 5/20 processor, 1771-IFE B series, and a 1771 OFE2 series B. This equipment is hooked up to a trainer. On the trainer I have a selector switch that selects bewtween 2 pots that control current to a milliampmeter.
Trainer.jpg

AnalogIOcards.jpg

I tried going into the I/O configuraion and selecting everything I thought that I needed to and finally I clicked the insert rung button. I also took the card out of the rack and configured the jumpers (I think)!
Manual1.jpg

Can any one pleas help me with anythink Im doing wrong?

What exactly is the problem you are having?

(I think you spent so much time explaining the setup you forgot to include the issue. It happens sometimes.)

ChadT, it would also help us to help you if you could post your .RSP file
Click on go advance or just scroll down to attach file. You must zip before attaching.
Also tell us which slots the modules are in, rack size.

Heres some reading to get you started:

Last edited:
Greetings ChadT ...

and welcome to the forum ...

incidentally the hardware that you’re using is almost exactly the same as the stuff I use in my training classes ... if you can’t make any headway, you’re welcome to give me a call and I’ll walk you through the setup step by step - (for free) ... it’s not really hard but there are a LOT of little steps that must all be done to make things work ... you can find my phone number by clicking the link below my signature ...

hope you get everything working with the suggestions that my distinguished colleagues have already made - but if not, give me a call ...

Ron, Tharon, and Mickey;

Thanks so much for the fast reply! Like I said Im new and Im sorry for the lack of info, mainly because I dont know. I am not sure what rack its in and which slot the module is in. I only have 1 rack so I think its rack 00. I have attached a pic of my rack and circled the analog I/O cards.
Rack.JPG

I need a step by step process of how to configure the card in RSLogix and the cards itself.

Greetings ChadT ...

depending on how your chassis DIP switches are set up, your analog modules could have several possible addresses when you configure your Block Transfer Reads and Writes ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

(a) if you’re using two-slot addressing ...

your 1771-IFE module would be located in Rack 00, Group 4, and it would be Module 0 ...

your 1171-OFE module would be located in Rack 00, Group 4, and it would be Module 1 ...

----------------------------------------------------------------

(b) if you’re using one-slot addressing ...

your 1771-IFE module would be located in Rack 01, Group 0, and it would be Module 0 ...

your 1171-OFE module would be located in Rack 01, Group 1, and it would be Module 0 ...

(c) if you’re using half-slot addressing ...

your 1771-IFE module would be located in Rack 02, Group 0, and it would be Module 0 ...

your 1171-OFE module would be located in Rack 02, Group 2, and it would be Module 0 ...

although the DIP switches on the chassis backplane are the way these address modes are set, don’t bother to remove the processor to check them ... the easy (and most reliable way) is to check on the Processor Status window - on the Switches tab ... the addressing mode of the local chassis will be listed there ...

now then ... we also need to know how your analog inputs are physically wired to the IFE module ... specifically, are you using single-ended or differential wiring? ... based on the fact that you have four input pots - and are only showing five wires connected to the IFE module, I’d bet serious money that you’re using single-ended wiring ... that would give us one wire for each pot - plus a fifth wire for the signal common ... a total of five wires ... you’ll eventually need to nail the exact wiring scheme down for sure - but for now let’s assume (gosh I hate that word) that it’s single-ended ...

if I’ve guessed correctly on the single-ended issue, then you’ve got your jumpers set wrong (if you followed the pattern that you have circled) ... and we also need to know whether the pots are providing a voltage signal - or a current signal ... I’m betting (pocket change only) that it’s voltage ... if so, then you need to set your jumpers to match the pattern in the left row of that diagram you posted ...

plan of attack: check everything that you can - particularly about the wiring ... change the jumper positions if necessary ... then give me a call and we’ll walk through the programming ... if all goes well, we should be done in about five or six minutes ... since all NEVER goes well, it’ll probably take about 20 or 30 minutes ... I look forward to hearing from you later this afternoon ...

Greetings ChadT ...

click this link to reach the User Manual for the 1771-IFE/B analog input module ... the chart that we talked about on the phone is on page 5-1 ... it shows the status bits from the first four words of the Block Transfer Read's data file - and also that the signal data from Channel #1 is located in the FIFTH word of the file ...

click this link to reach the User Manual for the 1771-OFE analog output module ...

I enjoyed working with you ...

PLC5/20 Analog I/O

I would to thank all who have replied to my questions. Most of all I would like to than Ron Beaufort for taking time from his busy schedule and walking me through step by step of configuring 1771-IFE and 1771-OFE2 cards. In my opinion he his A+ programer and teacher. Not only did he walk me through the steps but he explained in detail why things were configured the way they were.

First, I had to go to my process status and on my switches tab I made sure what my addressing mode was one slot. I then looked at the position the cards were in the rack and that told me that my BTR and BTW was addressed as:1771-IFE module would be located in Rack 01, Group 0, and it would be Module 0 and my 1171-OFE module would be located in Rack 01, Group 1, and it would be Module 0 ...
STATUS.JPG

Rack2.JPG

After, I figured this out I went to my IO Configuration and chaged a few things
IO_Configuration.JPG

IO1.JPG

IO2.JPG

IO3.JPG

PLC5/20 Analog I/O

I would to thank all who have replied to my questions. Most of all I would like to than Ron Beaufort for taking time from his busy schedule and walking me through step by step of configuring 1771-IFE and 1771-OFE2 cards. In my opinion he his A+ programer and teacher. Not only did he walk me through the steps but he explained in detail why things were configured the way they were.

First, I had to go to my process status and on my switches tab I made sure what my addressing mode was one slot. I then looked at the position the cards were in the rack and that told me that my BTR and BTW was addressed as:1771-IFE module would be located in Rack 01, Group 0, and it would be Module 0 and my 1171-OFE module would be located in Rack 01, Group 1, and it would be Module 0 ...
STATUS.JPG

Rack2.JPG

After, I figured this out I went to my IO Configuration and chaged a few things
IO_Configuration.JPG

IO1.JPG

IO2.JPG

IO3.JPG