finding 1747-sdn on rslinx

LTBarnette

Hello everyone.

Found this board and got some great Ideas on here so I thought I would ask my question, which I have seen in some parts all over this board. When I installed the 1747-SDNPT driver on RsLinx I chose the card 1747-SDN and went thought the setup. I said it was adding it and found it on the proper slot in the SLC 5/05. However when I go back in to look at the card in RsLinx it does not show it under the new driver 1747-SDNPT-1. It keeps browsing and also it is not the SLC 5/05 driver. I have RsLinx version 2.20 and the scanner card has 4.015 firmware on it. I did go into the SLC 5/05 through my Ethernet connection and changed the m1 and m2 to 361 before I tried anything on Rslinx. I have the firmware upgrade to 6 for the scanner, but it cannot find it to install. Were would be a good place for me to start? I have latest version of RsNetworx also but was told it will not see the 1747-SDN because the firmware 4.015 will not work it has to be flashed to 6.

Thanks,
Todd

jstolaruk said:
From the release notes, You have to have 2.40 of RSLinx or later.
Yep...you could try downloading and installing the eds file for the sdn module, but that may not work either.

Yep you are correct I do have version 2.41.00 RsLinx. When I go to download the EDS file they are about 8 or 9 I tried downloading the ...30200 all the way to the ...30700 oldest to the newest EDS file trying them all hopeing maybe one would work but none did. It actualy looks like it installs when you chose the driver and it ask for a port. It says my card is in slot 1. I choose yes then when I go back to the start of RsLogix and look at the tree it shows 4 drivers first one Linx gateway for ethernet (nothing there) second is the devicent driver (checks for nodes nothing shows up) third is the DF1 com port to the SLC 5/05 (which I dont have hooked up since i using etherent) and fourth is the ethernet driver that Im actally online with the SLC 5/05 on and it is working correctly.

Last edited:
I think I just have a bad sdn card. Found another manual and downloaded it. Both the Module and Network status lights are solid red. I'm just going to buy a new card and see what happens.
Thanks,
Todd

From what you've said, the problem isn't that the 1747-SDNPT driver won't configure correctly, it's that the browse function doesn't 'see' any devices on the DeviceNet network.

Having solid red Network and Module LED's is a pretty solid clue that there is something wrong with the network. This could be as simple as the lack of 24 VDC power or termination or a signal short, or as serious as a defective or damaged 1747-SDN.

You shouldn't try to use the 1747-SDNPT as your only interface to DeviceNet. You can't flash upgrade the SDN via the SDNPT driver (for the same reason you can't call yourself on the telephone) and it's a very slow method for browsing and parameter access. As you've seen, because the browse depends on having a functioning 1747-SDN, it's no good for diagnosing or fixing problems with the SDN itself !

Go ahead and get a 1770-KFD or 1784-PCD (or borrow one to bootstrap this system) and you can get to work.

I just rememberred that there is one more thing in the SDN configuration that allows you to monitor device parameters through the SLC/backplane/SDN. You have to increase the length of M0 and M1 files to 395 each. the default is 256.

I changed the M0 and M1 files to 361 since the firmware on the card was 4.015 I think 395 is for firmware 6.0 or higher. Talking with a guy from Rockwell he said I still should be able to see the card with RsNetworx once I get the SDNPT driver set up on RsLinx he also said when it is set up on RsLinx I could flash the card without a 1770-KFD. Was that some bad info? I ordered the new card and should have it in the morning. Im going to try the new card route first. If I cant see it or get it working I will by the 1770-KFD to go directly to it. Just didnt want to buy one yet if I could get around it.