allen bradley e1 plus

lesmar96

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a customer that is running a grain auger of an AB motor starter. The overload is an Allen-Bradley E1 plus with a range of 5.4-27A. The motor FLA is 4.3 and the overload is set the whole way down. Well the issue is they keep burning up motors from overloading or stalling the auger. Why doesn't this overload trip out?

There is a "trip" pot that I could adjust, but I wasn't sure what that did?

Please advise.

20180122_191424465_iOS.jpg

By your numbers, the Overload's minimum is about 25% too high to adequately protect the motor. You need a different Overload. Augers may overload if at a steep angle and started with grain in them. Running them empty before stopping makes starting up much easier.

Electonic overloads must be set to actual motor FLA (for typical motor SF. Check the overload documentation) so that overload is sized wrong.

But the real problem is the overload isn't even wired into the control circuit. The NC contact on 95 & 96 must interupt the coil.

Here's the User Manual: Link

That little "trip" rotary device is a manual trip trigger.

The dial should be set for Full Load Amperes, as the trip setting is 120% of the dial setting.

With the dial turned down all the way, the trip setting is still 1.20 x 5.7 = 6.84 amperes.

Have you measured how many amps the motor pulls with a stalled rotor ?

But the real problem is the overload isn't even wired into the control circuit. The NC contact on 95 & 96 must interupt the coil.

šŸ™ƒ

Yeah, that will do it. Betcha it was removed because the auger kept tripping out.

Edit: It doesn't look to me like any of the overloads are wired correctly. Turning the manual trip device or pressing the Test button will prove right away whether they're wired correctly or not.

Last edited:
I bet it was never wired right. The picture is a bit dark but it looks like the overloads on either side don't have their overloads connecting either.

Yes. you are right. I did not build this panel, I was called in for other reasons and I agree it is not wired right because none of the aux are wired into the appropriate control circuits.

Thanks for the manual, Ken Roach, I was not familiar with this overload was having a hard time sorting through all the documentation available.

All though it is not wired correctly, it shouldn't have made the motor burn out unless the overload is auto resetting?? and it kept automatically trying??

The overload condition is a mechanical overload from the auger, but without the Overload properly sized and wired, the starter will not shut down to protect the motor.

Yes. you are right. I did not build this panel, I was called in for other reasons and I agree it is not wired right because none of the aux are wired into the appropriate control circuits.

Thanks for the manual, Ken Roach, I was not familiar with this overload was having a hard time sorting through all the documentation available.

All though it is not wired correctly, it shouldn't have made the motor burn out unless the overload is auto resetting?? and it kept automatically trying??
If the aux contact is not wired to the contactor coil, how is the OL relay going to cause the motor to disconnect? It doesn't have any power contacts, it's just a "sensor" and the aux contacts drop out the coil of the contactor to stop current flowing to the motor. Without that, it could be tripping all day long and nothing else will happen.

Whomever built that system was a nincompoop...

And as was said earlier, even IF the contacts were wired in correctly, the OL relay is the wrong size for that motor, you cannot turn the dial down low enough to protect it.

OK. This all makes sense to me. I was thinking this was a bimetallic relay that would actually disconnect the motor upon a trip condition, but I realize that is not the truth with this electronic one. I assume whoever built this panel did not realize what they were putting in.