Transfering RSView 32 applications

sthays

Hi All,

I've recently gained control of an existing control system used for purifying water. We have an SLC 5/05 processor and are using RSView 32 as the HMI. There are three user interface stations (one is an industrial computer in a panel, the others are desktops) running Win server 2k.

I recently made changes to the HMI application on one of the desktops, but when I tried to transfer the application to the other desktop (I zipped the entire directory except the data log files, then unzipped it on the other computer), when I opened the application, it wanted me to log in as it normally does, but none of my user accounts would work.

Am I trying to distribute the application the wrong way? This is how the system has been running for 10 years or so, and these are the first major changes that have been made to it, so we don't have any type of procedure. I have much more experience with FT ME, and haven't used RSView 32 in probably 7 years.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

it wanted me to log in as it normally does, but none of my user accounts would work.
I have had that problem before when running duplicate RSView programs on two different computer control stations. What I found was that it is easier to just copy the RSView files that you changed, not the entire project. The entire project will contain things that actually can and should be different on different stations, such as user accounts, passwords, file directory path names and locations, and one common difference that is often overlooked, different node names or node names that have reset to blank after copying, under the "System, Node" menu.

Ah, that makes sense, and is what I tried doing as a quick patch. I just updated the graphics that were in the old directory with new ones. I didn't realize this was actually a viable method for updating.

What about user accounts? That was one major change I made (the old system had far, far too many user accounts). I changed user names, passwords, and permissions. Is the user file one that can be transfered?

It has been too long for me, but I am fairly sure that you can successfully copy the user names, but not the passwords. If you copy the read-only RSView project directories called "cache, RDMDATA" and "comprf", that should copy most of the configuration setup, except for individual computer passwords.

As a last resort on the User Accounts, make a Print Sceen hard copy of the User Accounts and Security Codes screens, then go to each of the 3 computers and recreate the accounts manually.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, that would require having RsView32 works on every computer - we only have works on the one desktop. The others are clients only. When I attempted to open the file in works to configure the passwords, it told me the trial version would only allow 35 tags.

If the User Accounts and passwords are different, you may have to create 4 different versions of your RSView program on your programming computer, then copy to the others. In my case, I maintained two versions that were only slightly different in the user details. That is one disadvantage of having numerous operator stations.

Actually, the user accounts should be/will be all the same. It's just that the old version of the program has the outdated list. If I can't just drag and drop the program from one directory to the other, how do i update the user accounts if I can't open works on the second computer?

The Transfer Wizard should do the job. It should copy the files in the "cache, RDMDATA" and "comprf" project directories (which you could also copy manually using Windows Explorer on each computer).