SLC5/05 Revision For EthernetIP

Aabeck

I asked this on the AdvancedHMI forum also, but hope someone here can answer this.

I am adding a panel to an existing line that has a SLC5/05 1747-L552 using Ethernet to a HMI. My new panel has another 5/05 -L552.

Both CPU's are Series A, FRN 1 OS500 Ser A FRN 1, that only uses the RSLinx ETH driver, not the EthIP. AHMI only has EthIP drivers.

I have checked Ebay and there are firmware updates from $150 up, but a variety of revision levels. A call to Rockwell only got the information that all 5/05's are Ethernet capable, but no info on when they started being EthIP. My call to my distributor only got the info that a firmware update won't update the Ethernet port and would require an add-on card. I do know the 5/05's can be EthIP as I have other running projects with AHMI, but searching those projects files I couldn't find a minimum revision in use.

Does anyone know what is the minimum revision of a 5/05 that is EthIP capable?

First, a clarification: SLC-5/05 controllers do not and will never support I/O connections over Ethernet.

But they do support "PCCC Encapsulation in CIP", which uses the modern EtherNet/IP connection layer to transport the classic PCCC command set, instead of using the old A-B "Client-Server Protocol".

An SLC-5/05 that has "dual stack" firmware can send and receive SLC-500 Typed Data Table Read and Write commands with a ControlLogix (or a MicroLogix 1100/1400), and communicate with HMI devices that implement only CIP.

That "dual stack" firmware was introduced in about the year 2000, with FRN 5.

SLC-5/05 controllers have always been firmware upgradeable using a flash tool, which is now ControlFlash. The part number was 1747-DU501.

It is possible that Aabeck's controllers are too old to accept flash firmware of any kind. Some of the very first production Hardware Series A, OS500, Firmware Rev 1 controllers were built with a nonvolatile RAM chip that was too small to accept modern firmware. This was literally for a few months in 1993, so it affects very few customers and is a hard detail to track down.

Aside: A-B went through a bizarre naming exercise where the OS got a "Series C" designation that was coincidental with the Series C hardware. Series C hardware got the 10/100 MB Ethernet port and a new Ethernet daughtercard, while Series C firmware can still run on Series A, B, or C hardware.

All SLC-5/05 controllers with Series A or B hardware other than those initial orphan units can be upgraded to Firmware OS501 Series C FRN 11.

SLC-5/05 controllers with Series C or later hardware can be upgraded to OS501 Series C FRN 13.

I do see OS501 Series C FRN13 available in the Product Compatibility and Download Center today, at no charge. Search for "1747-L552" as the product name.

But I don't see OS501 Series C FRN 11 for download. It's possible that it is bundled in with the other download, or that it's been pulled from the PCDC.

But I don't see OS501 Series C FRN 11 for download. It's possible that it is bundled in with the other download, or that it's been pulled from the PCDC.

Great info Ken... I can confirm that the FRN 11 is part of the 1747-DU501, not sure if is part of the download but worth a try for anyone looking to upgrade

I should have clarified my terse answer, that the SLC5/05 cant do Ethernet/IP control.

I'm yet to be convinced that Ken is not a Rockwell bot, created for the purpose of archiving the history of Allen-Bradley equipment. Has anyone run a turing test on him or actually seen him in the flesh?

I am going to try the firmware download and see if it takes

If it makes a difference in the status file under processor it has:
Ethernet DaughterBoard Series 1
Ethernet DaughterBoard FRN 20
OS Memory Size 512

EDIT - the firmware download is only the firmware package, still need to get the ControlFLASH program

I downloaded the "OS-501C.zip" package that was offered when I searched for "1747-L552".

It included an executable installer for ControlFlash, which resulted in a ControlFlash install that had selections for both "1747-L551" and "1747-L551/C" (as well as the ones for L552 and L553).

This suggests to me that it includes the "1747-L551" firmware for Series A/B hardware controllers, and "1747-L551/C" firmware for Series C and later hardware.

Ken,

I originally saw the name of the download an d presumed it was a CAB-like package for another program.

It does have all versions of 5/05 upgrades. As soon as I pointed it to one of the PLC's it said it would update it to FRN 11, not 13.

But, since I was doing this over TeamViewer to my office computer and wasn't there it would not update, saying the PLC wasn't ready. When I get there I have to move the Protect jumper to Program.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

As soon as I pointed it to one of the PLC's it said it would update it to FRN 11, not 13..

You have a Series A so it can only be flashed to FRN 11, I think there was a hardware change and its not possible so to get to FRN 13 you will need a series C

Ken said:
All SLC-5/05 controllers with Series A or B hardware other than those initial orphan units can be upgraded to Firmware OS501 Series C FRN 11.

SLC-5/05 controllers with Series C or later hardware can be upgraded to OS501 Series C FRN 13.

I now have a Series C FRN 11 5/05 - the new one.

I will have to get to the customers shop when the line is down and flash the other one.

Another thing that had me worried for a second - when I put the jumper to Program it still said the PLC wasn't ready - I had the key in REM position, had to change it to PROGRAM then it took OK.

Now I just have to download the program back to it & test the HMI