Wago Bus controller/coupler

wicing

Hi,
I am thinking about to upgrade a wago plc-setup I use at home. I plan to switch my 750-880 (which only can be programmed with Wago I/O Pro (Codesys 2.3) to a newer cpu with Codesys 3 capability. I will also need a bus-coupler in my garage to be able to link i/o's to the main cpu over ethernet.
My question. Is it possible to use a cpu unit as just a bus-coupler? I know that it's not a cheap bus-coupler, but it will be useless otherwise.

I do not know if you can make it behave exactly like a bus controller, but you can make your cpu unit a modbus slave and publish variables/tags via modbus. Alternatively, you may want to sell the 750-880 and get a modbus coupler (for instance used via ebay).

That is also an alternative.
If i use it as a modbus slave, can it coexist with a 750-352 as a second modbus slave and have them controlled with for instance a PFC200 or PFC100?

Is there a lot to "win" with a PFCx00 instead of the 750-880? I have a project in the near future where I will use a PFCx00 and thought I should upgrade my system when I already have to buy a license for eCockpit.

What about PFC100 vs PFC200? Whats the main differences, besides 200 supports both eCockpit and i/o Pro while 100 only works with the first of them?

That is also an alternative.
If i use it as a modbus slave, can it coexist with a 750-352 as a second modbus slave and have them controlled with for instance a PFC200 or PFC100?

Yes, you can use multiple modbus slaves with one controller. Do note that I/O on a slave will not be as fast as I/O directly on a controller. If for example you want to catch a digital input that is typically high for 50ms or less, you are likely to miss it quite often if communication with the slave runs at a 100ms or 200ms interval. An advantage of using your 880 as a slave can be you can program it to "catch" a fast signal and communicate at a slower rate with your main PLC. It can take a bit of thinking to make it work as intended. If you don't get me, I'm probably over-complicating đź‘Ľ

Is there a lot to "win" with a PFCx00 instead of the 750-880? I have a project in the near future where I will use a PFCx00 and thought I should upgrade my system when I already have to buy a license for eCockpit.

The PFC100 and PFC200 controllers can be programmed with e!****pit or straight Codesys 3.5 from 3S software. When you use web visualisations, this can be a reason to use the newer versions, as the 2.3 webvisualisation uses Java. Support for the Java plugin in web browsers is waning. HTML5 visualisation from e!****pit or Codesys 3.5 does not require the Java plugin, and because it is straight HTML5 is also can be viewed on phones and tablets. Not always what you'd typically want in an industrial environment, but it sure is a big plus at home.

What about PFC100 vs PFC200? Whats the main differences, besides 200 supports both eCockpit and i/o Pro while 100 only works with the first of them?

Get the specs out for the models that fit your needs. You've already got one main difference. In general it seems to me the PFC200 have slightly higher specs (e.g. memory, onboard periferals, power supply, max number of I/O's that can be added).

Whats the main differences between pure CoDeSys 3.5 and e!****pit? As I understand it CoDeSys is free while you have to buy a licence for e!****pit, but I guess I get more with e!****pit?

Whats the main differences between pure CoDeSys 3.5 and e!****pit? As I understand it CoDeSys is free while you have to buy a licence for e!****pit, but I guess I get more with e!****pit?

eCockpit is in many ways similar to generic CoDeSys 3.5 but specific for Wago hardware. You can use generic CoDeSys 3.5 with PFC100 and PFC200 controllers, the development software is free but for every controller (PLC) you will need to buy a "runtime" from 3S software. Currently this is €100 per controller. While the initial costs are higher for eCockpit, you don't have "per controller" costs anymore as you do with the 3S runtimes.

I don't know if the 3S runtime works straight away with all different input and output modules that you can use on a Wago controller. There is a PDF list of supported modules on the 3S website. As far as I know the eCockpit version will work with all Wago modules that are currently available. Also it comes with extensive set of Wago libraries.

With eCockpit you call or email your local Wago office for any support questions. For generic CoDeSys you'd get in touch with 3S Software, the makers of codesys,

Ok. Then the financial differences aren't that big. At least when you have done a couple of projects.

I downloaded an evaluation version of e!****pit and my first reactions was that I didn't recognise anything. But I guess that is a first reaction. According to Wago many things have been simplified.

I'm not entirely sure "simplified" covers it all, but some things have indeed changed rather radically between CoDeSys2 and CoDeSys3/e!****pit.

I do not intend to say things are complicated mind you, just very different. Programming itself hasn't changed much, it is still IEC 61131-3 after all. The way you set things up and how to navigate around in your project has. One quickly gets used to that.

I think so too. And Wago support is i good help if I will feel to lost.
Another thing. I use CFC as programming language. I have diffucult to learn structured text, I am completely stuck with BASIC-syntax so structured text feels unlogic to me. The thing is CFC takes much space on the "drawing board". I have been forced to tighten the space between my circuits several times to make my whole program fit. It looks that this "drawing area" is smaller in e!****pit. Is it? Or is it possible to largen this area (both in v2.x and 3.x)?

In CFC like any other language try to use one page for a program, and use subroutines to make a complex program.
like a input routine, a control routine, a output routine, a communication block, a safety block (this i make in ladder, to be sure it is correct.
slowly expand the structure