Modicon Momentum Programming

ndzied1

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello,

I have a customer that is requiring us to use a Modicon Momentum PLC for a job. We have no experience with this processor or software to program it.

A quick look at the on-line literature shows two programming software options being Concept or ProWORX.

The job is simple sequencing. So far it looks to me like ProWORX might be what I'm looking for...

Anyone with Modicon/Momentum expreience care to chime in?

Thanks

ProWorx 32 is a ladder logic based programming package. It uses the 984LL instruction set that Modicon introduced almost 20 years ago. It contains all of the little quirks (good or bad) that people normally associate with "Modicon programming". It runs on less expensive Momentum controllers.

Concept is a certified package which contains all 5 IEC languages. The primary problem with this package is the lack of examples in it's "Help" literature. One minor problem is that online progamming is not real time, you need to perform a download changes operation. It requires the more expensive Momentum controllers.

While not a direct comparsion, this is like choosing RSLogix versus Contrologix and then chosing the platform.

It is my impression that ProWorx is a legacy product, and is essentially the old, OLD, OLD Taylor software repackaged. New enhancements are going to take place on the Concept software, and unless this is a one time projcet you might be better off with the Concept. Note that Concpet will also support the 984 ladder language, as well as the IEC versions.

We, here in the dark ages, still use MODSOFT on our Momentums(and 984s and Quantums).
that's old,old,old,old software but works on win98 and earlier platforms.
On the side, I'm not impressed with the Momentum hardware, not an industrial quality unit.

Sliver said:
I'm not impressed with the Momentum hardware, not an industrial quality unit.

I agree. The hardware is pretty cheesy, the terminal strips are hard to access, expansion I/O has a large footprint, and I'm always afraid I'm going to break something when I snap stuff together.

Of course Momentum is the Modicon low cost unit, but I think the form factor and hardware quality on the AutomationDirect.com DL-06 and the Allen Bradley MiocroLogix 1200 is superior, and they are quite competitive vs the Momentum. Concept does have pretty slick on-line editing, but the rest of the Concept software is kind of kludgy, not well integrated (you have to break out of Concpet to edit a function block, for example) and not well documented.

ProWORX 32 is a complete redesign of the older ProWORX NxT which was the Windows version of the Taylor family of software. ProWORX is typically used by the customers who want to be able to program legacy equipment or are looking for the cheapest solution (and I don't mean cost-reduced). The latest and greatest large system Schneider software is Unity, but it does not handle the legacy 984LL equipment nor the Momentum family of processors.

Momentum was never intended to compete with the DL-06 or MicroLogix. It was originally "block" I/O and then someone decided to add a processor to it, so it is not very flexible when more than two bases are installed in one enclosure.

Out of hundreds of bases I have never had problems with breakage, however, I wish there was a way to get the numbering on the terminal strip, the base unit, the I/O label, and in the program to be the same. Hasn't Schneider heard of offereing replaceable numbering strips?

No. All Schneider Electric software must be purchased.
All ProWORX products are now part of Schneider and Modsoft is obsolete. Concept can be programmed with IEC as well as 984 Ladder Logic. Demo versions are available at www.telemecanique.com.

I do not know about offerings from other vendors.

Yes they have a proworx 32 demo..It is restricted to the first 10 or 20 networks..

I have found that modsoft works well..The only problem is that it wont work with XP..(The program does..but communication dosnt)..I had one of the first versions of proworx and had major headaches with it..Enough headaches that one day the laptop found its way 30' across the room..The information was unretravable..but it didn't matter because i was getting a runtime error from proworx and couldn't retrieve my program anyway...I got the program by downloading from the processor but i lost all the documention..It took a while to retype in modsoft..

My rant on modicon...BTW i do think the momentum line is CHEAP ****..It is difficult for first time users to set up in traffic cop and just looks and feels cheap..

Please pray for me as i have to update a couple of 984 micro's that have 3 32 point inputs 2 or 4 outputs and 1 analog in and 2 analog out.....Its not going to be the highlight of my summer!

Jim Dungar said:
No. All Schneider Electric software must be purchased.
All ProWORX products are now part of Schneider and Modsoft is obsolete. Concept can be programmed with IEC as well as 984 Ladder Logic. Demo versions are available at www.telemecanique.com.

I do not know about offerings from other vendors.

Jim it looks like we resonded at the same time..however there is a demo of proworx 32 available from modicon...

D

I am just designing an MCC for a customer with 12 momentum bases in the panel. Don't ask me why, I think its crazy but all I do is "charge the guns". We use Proworx for programming.

FasTrak SoftWorks, Inc. offers a 32 bit Windows replacement for Modsoft and the Proworx/Taylor products(Plus, NXT or Pro 32). FasTrak's PLC WorkShop for Modicon - 32 Bit has been designed in 32 Bit Windows for 5 years already, and it supports all platforms including the old 584. They offer a Compact package(all features - but less expensive) for users only working with Compacts and Momentums. A demo is on their website, www.fast-soft.com
For more info, feel free to contact me. [email protected]