Tips for downloading all versions of RSLogix 5000 and Studio 5000.

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
I need to get all the versions of RSLogix and Studio downloaded and installed on virtual machines. I suspect this is going to take a big chunk of time, and there will be things I wished I would have known before I started. I also suspect many of you have done this and can offer some tips. For instance, I have XP, Windows 7, and Windows 10 VMs on VMWare on my Windows 10 laptop. I'm wondering how many VMs to use, and what other things to think about when putting the (almost) complete library on my laptop. Anybody care to share insight and experience?

Install the newest version supported on your OS first. Then when you go to install older versions, they will skip the pieces that are already installed with a newer version.

That said, the oldest version I have installed is v28, so I don't know if any of the really old versions cause issues this way.

Install the newest version supported on your OS first. Then when you go to install older versions, they will skip the pieces that are already installed with a newer version.

That said, the oldest version I have installed is v28, so I don't know if any of the really old versions cause issues this way.

I would advise the opposite.

Thanks. FYI, I need to have version 17 on Friday. I had it installed on an XP VM, but didn't have the Factory Talk activation networked to my Windows 7 VM with the license. I'm working on that right now. I'm hoping to get as many versions as I can downloaded and installed. I see a lot of Legacy equipment in my job.

Me too. For example, I tried to install version 23 after versions 24, 30, 31, and 32 were installed, and couldn't make it past some errors. I didn't try very hard since I don't need that version for any particular reason other than the fact that I noticed I had skipped it.

I also recall issues with older versions that can be avoided by installing from oldest to newest.

Any details why? Going oldest to newest means you install FactoryTalk Services, Linx, and the Activation manager so many times. Drives me crazy. But if there's a reason to do it that way, I'll keep it in mind for my own next install.

I also recall issues with older versions that can be avoided by installing from oldest to newest.

There was a time where I vividly remember Rockwell support telling me to install newest --> oldest. IIRC this was round v20/windows 7 compatibility. Install v20 first then go backwards. :confused:

Any details why? Going oldest to newest means you install FactoryTalk Services, Linx, and the Activation manager so many times. Drives me crazy. But if there's a reason to do it that way, I'll keep it in mind for my own next install.

I have had issues before going backwards. If you search the forum there is a large consensus to go from low to high. The installers were always designed to “upgrade”. I have had installers hang and say “FTSP x already installed” then the installer hangs. Rockwell has packages that have multiple revisions wrapped into a single installer.

I'm a little rusty, but I too would start at oldest version.

I recall having v20, v24 and v27? I know V20 is a pretty standard rev to run into as well as 24 (or used to be - I think the L32 used one of these two)

I don't have the option to select multiple downloads. But I noticed that he had the "professional" version, and I have the "full" version, catalog number 9324-RLD600ENE. Maybe that's the difference.

I don't have the option to select multiple downloads. But I noticed that he had the "professional" version, and I have the "full" version, catalog number 9324-RLD600ENE. Maybe that's the difference.

Rockwell just does like to hide them away.

I would suggest trying to download V32, and then in additional downloads, try getting the "Multiversion" edition. DM me if you want some help remotely. Shouldn't take but 10 minutes.

Well... I've had a successful night. I had an XP VM with V.12 & V.17, so I started with the legacy versions. I found that the shopping cart icon in the top right corner of the download box adds the download to a list of downloads, and I was able to check version 13 through 20 and download them all at the same time. I moved them to the XP VM, and installed all of them except V.16 and V.20, which I believe should be installed on a Windows 7 VM. The earlier versions installed pretty quickly.

Now I need to decide how to do the rest of the versions... Do all the Studio5000 versions play well together? Should I put some on Windows 7 and the rest on Windows 10? Currently, I have a W7 VM with V.32. Seems to me I've had .NET framework issues in the past with different versions. I'm wondering if I start from scratch on a new VM and work up to the current version.

Any thoughts?

Well... I've had a successful night. I had an XP VM with V.12 & V.17, so I started with the legacy versions. I found that the shopping cart icon in the top right corner of the download box adds the download to a list of downloads, and I was able to check version 13 through 20 and download them all at the same time. I moved them to the XP VM, and installed all of them except V.16 and V.20, which I believe should be installed on a Windows 7 VM. The earlier versions installed pretty quickly.

Now I need to decide how to do the rest of the versions... Do all the Studio5000 versions play well together? Should I put some on Windows 7 and the rest on Windows 10? Currently, I have a W7 VM with V.32. Seems to me I've had .NET framework issues in the past with different versions. I'm wondering if I start from scratch on a new VM and work up to the current version.

Any thoughts?

This is the best time to download the multiversion to save time. It covers all supported versions between V21-32 in one file.

The versions do play well together, as long as they are installed in ascending order. Once you are done with upto V32, install 33, then install the patch rollup. You should be good.