What's the benefit of upgrading panelview plus firmware?

Paul_Pereira

My panelview runs firmware 9 just fine. I would like to understand the justification to upgrade the firmware to the latest. I've been asked to do it but if it ain't broke...

Unless a specific bug has been removed or a specific required feature has been added, there's little to no benefit. There's also the obvious certainty that more and/or different bugs are brought on.

Occasionally there's a useful feature that isn't available in earlier revisions. I've only run into this once that I can remember though.

Normally I upgrade the firmware to bring all the PV in the same plant to the same firmware other than that I don't see a real benefit (of course if a new feature is needed, upgrade it).:site:

There have been quite a few upgrades since version 9. However, to take advantage, you would have to open the application in the development software, add the items that use the new features, create a new runtime, and then load that runtime into the PV.

If you aren't doing any of that, then there really isn't a *need* to upgrade. But I agree with the other comments about upgrading all my PVs to keep them all at the same version.

I suspect a case could be made that for security purposes, keeping them all at the latest version is more secure. I know that is probably debatable though.

OG