OT: Here we go again....

With as large as it is, and the wind velocity, it's not going to make a difference which side of the state it's on.

NOAA currently shows it going thru the central of the state, as of 5 am today.

So pick your poison, west for the NE or from the SW. At CAT III strength with hurricane force winds 50 to 75 miles from the center, no where in Florida is safe.

Agreed, but its still worse on the eastern side, its 400 miles wide so if your talking 150 mile an hour wind vs 100 mile and hour, I will take 100 or anything less than 150 and most of the tornadoes are also on the eastern side, I would much rather see a hundred waterspouts and not land tornados

But like you said... poison is still going to kill you or make you really sick

I am breathing a little easier with the latest models, still not out of the woods by any means and it can all change 10 more times between now and when it actually gets to Florida.

But seeing the spaghetti models move east removed a lot of the "I am going to loose everything" feeling.
If it comes up the West Coast of Florida I will loose it all under 20 feet of water.

Right now it looks like it got worse for you guys in SC though....I hate to see that and I hope you are all prepared and will be safe.

Will have to wait a few more days to see whats going to happen.
Its like being tied to one of 3 train tracks wondering which way the switch is positioned as a slow moving locomotive heads for you. :unsure:

Spagetti Monster.jpg Hurricane.jpg

I just got back from Lowes with the OSB and studs I need to build an "up-off-the-floor" cabinet to put my most essential lab equipment in ... I'm hoping that shrouding the gear in heavy-duty plastic wrap – and then storing it in the cabinet – will be my best chance of still having a business if this monster plows through Charleston ...

I'm on the first floor of a five-story building – and I shudder to think of what would happen if one (or more) of my floor-to-ceiling windows were to blow out ... or a window or two upstairs – which would let the water run down into my space ...

not too worried about flooding – since the building is on pretty high ground – but thinking about wind-driven rain water is keeping me awake at night ...

everybody take care of yourselves ...

Hi Ron,
Hopefully you have someone to give you hand with all that, you have a lot to get stowed away.
If I were closer I would come help you out.
Still trying to get my feet on solid ground so I can start running toward this thing.
I should be able to jump ship 26 hours from now once we hit Port of Seattle and get this scow offloaded.

Hopefully the storm changes course and misses you all together.
We will keep you and yours in our thoughts and prayers and hope for the best.

Take care and stay safe.
BCS

I'm starting to worry that this storm is going to follow Hugo's path.
I don't have to worry about flooding, unless the sea rises 89 feet, but I am wondering if the ACOE is giving any thought to the lakes here... Marion/Moultrie are full up, and they aren't releasing any water. Seems like it would be time to drop them at least 5 or 6 feet to provide for some storage.

It looks like no matter what happens, the outer banks are going to be devastated again. It's seriously time to abandon those islands instead of spending billions of dollars to try to rebuild them as a playground.

/shrug. Whatever happens, happens. There is no bottled water anywhere in the area, but I did grab 40 gallons of non-ethanol gasoline for the generator. That will keep the well going.

Good Luck Ron, and you other Southeast coasters.

Yep not looking good, the only positive I see its showing down to a Cat 1 now once it hits us... as far as the outer banks not sure if everyone is done rebuilding from last year (south of there), I was there about 6 months ago and you could still see trees and debris

Anyone looking for higher ground let me know, I have a lot and its wide open so its great for parking, im between Columbia and Augusta

Ron I think it was a great idea to button up, hope for the best!

Yea this ones going to be very bad.
My house flooded this time last year from Hermine, it was a Cat 1 and stayed 80 miles off shore.

If Irma comes up the West the side of Florida as a Cat 4.....forget it, I will have lost it all.

Still at sea right now but will be at the dock in Seattle Thursday moring.
I have a Redeye out of Seatac to Tampa Thrusday night.

Uhaul truck already reserved and material to board up the houses and try to hold back the water waiting for my arrival.

Already have lots of gas, food, water (and ammo) but wife is stocking more and more each day.

I don't want to wish this on anyone else but I hope it picks the East coast of Florida and not the West. :D

Anyone who will be in the path of this thing.....good luck to you and God speed, hopefully we all come out the other side unscathed.

For the guy from Georgia....you will likely be fine, you are plenty far inland where you are located.....I am sending my wife and kids to Valdosta to stay with relatives once we get the furniture moved out of the house.

BCS

I'm in Valdosta! This place is PACKED with people. I've never seen this many people come through here before. There's not a hotel room within a 2 hr radius.

I think we will be ok, but I have stocked up just in case.

ETA: Not sure where you live, but I-75 was pretty packed in Valdosta this morning. They may want to stay on back roads on their way up here.

Last edited:
the worst part is the gas price spike... like the stations are trying to gain from another disaster. Prices around here rose by 30-40 cents overnight.

FWIW, I understand supply/demand, but I've never seen a hearse with a U-Haul, and the pharaohs proved that you can't take it with you.

I don't have to worry about flooding, unless the sea rises 89 feet, but I am wondering if the ACOE is giving any thought to the lakes here... Marion/Moultrie are full up, and they aren't releasing any water. Seems like it would be time to drop them at least 5 or 6 feet to provide for some storage.
My sister lives 20 miles west of Houston not too far from the Buffalo Bayou. They survived the hurricane OK but got flooded much later when the Addicks reservoir over topped. It is the water upstream at higher elevations you need to watch for if you are out of the reach of the storm surge.

The controlled emptying of any reservoirs sounds like a good idea ahead of a hurricane.

Did everyone make it ? we just had some rain and strong wind up here.... like a 6hr thunderstorm

The roads are packed with people heading back, but their going back to no power and that would suck

Made it here in Bulloch county GA. 8+ inches of rain with plenty of wind. Lots of limbs down with a few trees. I never lost power but I was definitely in the minority, most of the county lost power, still several thousand out.

Not as much damage as Mathew from what I have seen.

I made it. It really wasn't that bad for us. Power was out for a little less than 12 hours. School is out again today, but most things are returning to normal. Lots of downed trees in town and several damaged houses, but overall, not too bad.

downtown Charleston had some streets flooded - but here in the "north area" we came through with very few problems at all ... winds about 50 mph - and lots of wind-driven rain - but really not much more than a "regular old run of the mill" severe thunder shower ... power was out for about 10 hours - but they got it back on by bedtime ... note that we were just on the "edge" of this thing - so I hate to think of what the folks in Florida are going through ... (been there done that with Hugo) ...

my back yard was almost knee deep in water - but thankfully nothing got into the house or the workshop ... the office came through perfectly fine ... since I'm on the first floor of a five-story building - with almost 100% glass exterior - I've always worried about my wall-to-wall - and ceiling-to-floor - windows getting smashed - and letting wind-driven water soak my lab equipment ...

this time around I knocked together an off-the-floor "cupboard" to store things in ... basically I wanted to protect the plastic sheeting and keep it from being blown away in case my windows got broken ... and the sheeting is also there to keep water from running down from any upstairs offices that might lose their windows ... collecting on insurance is always "iffy" when water damage is involved - especially when there's no "structural" damage to the insured office space ... hopefully I'll never have to find out just how "iffy" the collection process might be ...

so - thanks to all for the prayers and well-wishes ... I've just got to set everything back on the benches and I'm ready to go again ...

cupboard_4.jpg

Last edited:
No real issues here, thankfully. Just lost power for about 3 hours on Monday, but rode that out with the Generator.

Concerned about Bering C Sparky though, he was worried if it ran up the west coast of Florida... which it did.

-- By the way,
Does anybody else find it odd that the European models are consistently more accurate than the US/GFS models?

Apparently, one reason is that Europe dedicates more than three times the computing capacity of the USA. Why do I find that, just, well, wrong.

I can't speak for him obviously, but Bering C lives close to where my parents are in the Tampa Bay area. Tampa Bay got lucky that the storm came ashore further south and east of the worst case scenario path. The storm weakened quite a bit before it got up to there and the storm surge was a lot less than if it had stayed slightly offshore. He may have some wind damage, but I think his flooding fears would have been averted to some degree.

From talking to my many friends who live down there still, the worst was the massive power outages. There is some wind damage (which is what caused the power outages), and unless you live directly on the water the flooding was minimal compared to what it could have been. From what I have been able to learn, the worst flooding was all on the east coast of the state (Miami, Jacksonville).

Although I feel for the people in the Keys and the Naples area, for a storm hitting Florida that was the best of a bad situation. If the track had been 50 miles further east, the Miami area would have been obliterated. And, 50 miles further west the Tampa Bay area would have suffered much worse damage and flooding. Those are the two of the largest population areas of the state and either scenario would be many times worse than what actually happened.