SLC 5/05 "Faulted"

I have two SLC 5/05 PLCs which are displaying faulted under RSLogix (see attached picture). However, the faulted LED is not lit on either PLC nor does the program display a faulted state when connected online through RSlogix. If I attempt to download to either PLC, an error occurs and the PLC reverts to a DEFAULT state with no program. Program downloads are only possible through a direct DH485 connection.

Some more info:
They share a single common Ethernet connection back to the main hub. From that shared connection they are routed through an Ethernet switch to each PLC. I have tried a new common Ethernet connection, a new Ethernet switch, new Ethernet PLC connections, and new processors. There same error continues.

If it does not have a program than you will not be able to connect via Ethernet because odds are the IP address is also gone, also if the processor has been defaulted then the "DH485" has reverted back to RS232, so use a null modem/crossover 1747-CP3 cable and download the program back to the PLC then your Ethernet should start working again

Also... what is the part number of the CPU? 1747-Lxxx

... displaying faulted under RSLogix ...

...PLC nor does the program display a faulted state when connected online through RSlogix....

If you can go online with the program in RSLogix, do you mean that RSLinx shows the CPU's faulted in RSWho?

The Harmony files in RSLinx can get corrupted and need wiped if RSLinx shows faults in error.

Open the attached ZIP file from Rockwell and follow the manual instructions - making sure to not delete files with similar names.

The processor is 1747-L551.

Yes. The program functions and it is possible to get online through the Ethernet on RSLogix500. In the program under the status drop-down it is not showing faulted nor is the fault led lit on the processor. In RSlogix under System Comms it is showing the PLC as faulted. RSLinx is not showing the PLC as faulted.

Also, downloading through the Ethernet produces an error that puts the PLC in DEFAULT mode. The only way to correct that or make any update to the program is through the RS232 connection on the processor.

This is happening to 2 SLC 5/05's that share a common Ethernet connection through an Ethernet switch. I've already tried new Ethernet cables, new Ethernet switch, and replacing the processors.

Yes. The program functions and it is possible to get online through the Ethernet on RSLogix500. In the program under the status drop-down it is not showing faulted nor is the fault led lit on the processor. In RSlogix under System Comms it is showing the PLC as faulted. RSLinx is not showing the PLC as faulted.

RSlinx's will only show if the PLC is active, not if its faulted

Also, downloading through the Ethernet produces an error that puts the PLC in DEFAULT mode. The only way to correct that or make any update to the program is through the RS232 connection on the processor.

Any chance you have the node address switch or they are the same? can you post both programs?

This is happening to 2 SLC 5/05's that share a common Ethernet connection through an Ethernet switch. I've already tried new Ethernet cables, new Ethernet switch, and replacing the processors.

Dont take this the wrong way but... its not the hardware, its you or someone changed the program you are trying to download, very rarely is it the hardware more often than not its a setting that someone changed , remove the Ethernet connections and download with the serial port, before you said DH485 now your downloading them RS232? but either way get them running then look at the Ethernet settings

Unfortunately alot of hands have access to make changes to the programs...corporate especially. They wipe the backups periodically too so I don't have any previous versions. I've attached the two programs.

Both are addressed different (30 and 31) they are both RS232/DF1 and they compile with no errors, the last major error on one was 454h and the other does not have one listed 0h

Can you try posting your screen shot again from the first post so we can see it, try making it smaller, if its too large it will not show up.

EDIT: if you can go online when you have a error you can double click on the Processor Status file, then click on the Errors tab, this 'should' tell you if you have any errors and what they are

Last edited:
I haven't worked w/ AB since aprox. 2005, but I would unlatch the bits each scan that can fault it to narrow it down.

The listing in your screen shot is what the RSLinx server is providing RSLogix.

Again, I would try deleting the Harmony files.

now would be the perfect time to stress to corporate that they need to keep their hands off of the programing and backups.

you should also have backups located somewhere.
we have working copies and backups that only the IS/IT department (programmers) have access to.

james

Again, I would try deleting the Harmony files.

Or check on another PC... I have seen so much weird **** in RSLinx I would not trust it anyway

Something else I noticed...both the node addresses are shown as 0 in RSLogix.

Thats for your local connection (99% sure) so no big deal as only one can be connected at a time, as long as they are different in your IP config and not causing a issue

Do you have any other PC's on the network that can also check the info and if its only this PC?