B & r plc

nabuckein

I have a working HMI+PLC (PowerPanel 400, 4pp420.1043-75) on the floor right now. Instead of downloading programs or mods to it I would like to do so on a brand new unit I'm trying to put together on a bench. I have a brand new B&R Compact Flash card (empty), and a brand new POWERLINLK comm. card attached to the PowerPanel 400. I'm used to Allen Bradley and just being able to go online and upload a program to my laptop. However, with B&R I'm not sure how to get started. How do I create a new project? When I try to create a new one Automation Studio 3.0 tries to communicate with the brand new PowerPanel 400 but it can't (I'm assuming it can't since it says unable to detect hardware configuration and there's no lights on on the Ethernet outlet nor my laptop).
When I try to start up with an empty CF card it tells me it is not a bootable drive.
Any help will be greatly appreciated !
Thanks in advance !

Hello,
first, you will need to do some reading - because I can't write down here a complete set of instructions.

But if you follow these steps you should get the the Panel up and running (I hope :))

I am using a German Version of AS, so I dont know the english menue names, I am using 'my' Translation...

a) Create a new Project, but do not choose 'loading Hardware configuration from target'. If you dont load from target, you can choose the Panel you have from a list.

b) go to physical view

c) select Ethernet configuration (context menue of pp) and assign an IP adress for the PP (e.g. 192.168.0.1 or similar). It should be of the same adress range than the Ethernet Interface on your Laptop that you are going to use to go online.

d) at this Point you still dont need any user program. but of course, if you want to create a VC (visual components) object or another user Task it is ok.

e) compile the Project - there must not be any error.

f) use 'extras' & 'create compact flash' menue to copy all the Project and the configuration of communication (see IP adress, ...) to the CF Card. You need to connect the CF Card via CF Slot (USB, ..) to your Laptop.

g) insert the CF Card into the Slot and power up the Panel.

h) it should boot now, having a VC object it should Show the Initial Picture, otherwise it should Show something like 'RUN' on the Screen.

i) from now on you should be able to connect via Ethernet Online to the PLC and download program changes.

In the Online-Settings window you can 'search' available PLC's and you should see your PP there. You can right-click it and connect to it.

I hope this gives you an idea how to start with it.

I hope also I did not miss an important Thing - not doing this start part too many times.
Good luck
BR
BB

Thanks for all the help bits'bytes, I appreciate it. Now I have a couple more questions...Can I change the value of variables online? how do I force an input/output on?
Also, how do I make changes to the program? Do I go offline and then transfer it to target using Project/Transfer to Target ? Do I have to perform a warm restart after doing so?
Again, thank you so much for your help! I appreciate it!

Hi , please find some answers...

Can I change the value of variables online?
Yes, sure. <Ctrl>M --> Monitor Mode, select the Task with the variable you want to Change (CPU for global ones) and insert the variable in the window. Write the value -> done.
how do I force an input/output on?
Go to the Input/Output module in physical view - context menue - io-mapping, you see the list of the io variables. there is a check for 'force' - > enter a value in the 'force' column.
Also, how do I make changes to the program?
hmm, just edit the source in the Editor ???
Do I go offline and then transfer it to target using Project/Transfer to Target ?
No, you just compile it. Press F7 (? think so) for build, than you are asked if you want to download. You can alternatively press the 'download button' in the toolbar. It will compile before the download all Tasks that have a Change.
Do I have to perform a warm restart after doing so?
No, the programming System 'AS' knows when to make a cold/warm start and is executing it during download.
Of course, if your application is needing a reboot you have to carry out it yourself....

BR
BB

Hi Bits'bytes, I have a question maybe you could help with. In the image, why is gP2_Divider_on_EOAT not being reset to 0? All the conditions are there for it to be reset.

Disregard my last post. Now I have another problem...when I try to build the program running on a powerpanel 420 it tells me this:

C:/Users/MSanchez/Desktop/MA02-11-19-13/Logical/Visu_Lg/VCObject.vc : error 7001: Execution failed.

C:/Users/MSanchez/Desktop/MA02-11-19-13/Temp/Objects/Q1144_P/PLC1/#cpu.mak (Ln: 198) :
error : C:/Users/MSanchez/Desktop/MA02-11-19-13/Temp/Objects/Q1144_P/PLC1/Visu_L/Visu_L.mak: No such file or directory

fatal error 9270: Make file error. A project rebuild is requested!

error 430: Unable to open file C:\Users\MSanchez\Desktop\MA02-11-19-13\Binaries\Q1144_P\PLC1\Q1144_P\PLC1\Visu_L.br, and this

all I wanna do is to make changes, build the program, and transfer it to the PLC so the changes I've made can be seen...

Disregard my last post. Now I have another problem...when I try to build the program running on a powerpanel 420 it tells me this:

C:/Users/MSanchez/Desktop/MA02-11-19-13/Logical/Visu_Lg/VCObject.vc : error 7001: Execution failed.

C:/Users/MSanchez/Desktop/MA02-11-19-13/Temp/Objects/Q1144_P/PLC1/#cpu.mak (Ln: 198) :
error : C:/Users/MSanchez/Desktop/MA02-11-19-13/Temp/Objects/Q1144_P/PLC1/Visu_L/Visu_L.mak: No such file or directory

fatal error 9270: Make file error. A project rebuild is requested!

error 430: Unable to open file C:\Users\MSanchez\Desktop\MA02-11-19-13\Binaries\Q1144_P\PLC1\Q1144_P\PLC1\Visu_L.br, and this

all I wanna do is to make changes, build the program, and transfer it to the PLC so the changes I've made can be seen...

Hello,
as the program is suggesting - make a program rebuild. Maybe the error is gone afterwards.
if it does not work, try to open the visual project and make then a rebuild project.

if you have a AS 3.xxx, you can try to export the project (without binaries, firmeware) and attach it to a posting.

BTW, the other post, the screenshot (picture) was not uploaded, it was only a path to a file.

br
bb

Hello guys,
I have the same power panel from B&R but with a different problem, we have just bought a new one but at the starting menu it shows this message : "Attempting to boot a hard drive ... boot failed"
and after a while it says : "No boot device present, halting"
in OS mode of course and in AR mode it says something like this too. I've checked the memory card and it seems to be correct and put in another power panel and it worked there. One thing that sounds incorrect is the position of Mode/Node switch which the manual says it should be in "00" but I couldn't do that because of the SW1 which it never went to "0". I don't know what to do next and I have a question about the Mode/Node switches, are they so important for boot loading??? if yes what can I do to solve the problem?
Thanks a lot,

Hello Guys again:D
Finally, I ran the power panel but now I want to upload the PLC program (ladder or ...) into the pc from the panel. In fact, I wanna monitor the logic program to troubleshoot the machine.What should I do? Do you have any help or tips or document to help me? I'll appreciate any responses.
Thanks

Hello Iman,
it seems you dont have the corresponding project loaded in Automation Studio.

In this case you can not upload ladder diagram or other source code.

You can only monitor variables, but for that you should have an idea about the naming and so on ....

Better way - try to organize the source project.

BR
BB

Hello again bits'bytes
First, I wanna thank you for your help. I've found the program in PC but it was edited by Automation Studio V2.7 and My Automation Studio is V3.0.5 and when I wanna open the program it says that you should convert the project and when I did that during the conversion procedure an error had occurred and the procedure was stopped. I've tried it so many times but each time it happened again and again. I've attached the screenshot of the error. What should I do to see this tricky program ah :confused:??

untitled.PNG

You have to have Automation Studio 2.7 installed to do the conversion. You can download it for free from B&R's website using the license serial number from AS3.X or 4.X. The way the projects were stored was completely changed from AS2.7 to AS3.X.

Also, AS3.0.71 was the first released version of AS3.X that I know of (there was also a 3.0.80 and 3.0.81). If you really do have AS3.0.5 then you have a beta build that probably has quite a few bugs in it (they released these beta builds internally and to some partner distributors).

do you have instructions on how to configure the hardware. I cannot transfer my program to the hardware. Im starting to learn this software so i need help. THANKS!

do you have instructions on how to configure the hardware. I cannot transfer my program to the hardware. Im starting to learn this software so i need help. THANKS!
I didn't work with it so much and just wanted to detect some faults in the program.But one thing, the addressing procedure of the remote i/o is based on a dip switch on each module and it is totally different from the Siemens S7 which is automatic.

The help files are quite good, much better than other platforms. Instead of doing a search, try looking in the help topic tree under Project Management -> Hardware Management or maybe Automation Software -> Getting Started

Generally, in AS3.X and above, you will switch to the physical tab (as opposed to the logical or configuration tab) and start adding devices. You right click on a device after you add it and the top two options should be IO mapping and Configuration. You right click a lot on Automation Studio 3.X and above. If you're working in AS2.X, then the hardware is just added in the tree and when you click on it you will see the IO mapping and Configuration as the two tabs for the window that opens.

Anything on Powerlink will need to have a node number set, although there is a new feature for setting them automatically based on connection order, but I haven't used that. X2X nodes are generally automatic and in order of connection, but there are BM15 and BM05 bases that will let you manually set a node number. All configuration besides node numbers are done in Automation Studio.