ControlLogix Power-up Fault Cause

Hi All,

I have had Power-up fault on three separate processors. All three processors are brand new. They are been used in separate control panels. They have all worked fine for a few days and have shown the Power-up fault out of no where. Two of the processors are 1756-L72 and one is 1756-L61. If I clear the fault and download the program then the processor works fine till I recycle the power. I contacted RA technical support several times and have talked with three different tech support engineers. However none could tell me what causes the processor to go into power-up fault. We replaced the processors and problem seem to go away away for a few days but comes back. I would really appreciate if someone could explain me possible causes of power up fault. I have described the PLC set ups for the above mentioned projects below.

Project A:

Chassis: 1756-A13
Processor: 1756-L61
Digital Input Cards: 4: 1756-IB16D
Digital Output Cards: 3: 1756-OB16D
Analog Input Card: 1: 1756-IF16
Comm. Cards: 1: 1756E-MNET, 1:1756-MCM, 1:1756-EN2T
Power Supply: 1756-PB75

Project B,C

Chassis: 1756-A4
Processor: 1756-L72
1: 1756-RM
1: 1756-CN2R
1: 1756-EN2T
Power Supply: 1756-PB75

I hope I am providing sufficient information here. Please let me know if further clarification is required.

With Regards,

Amit Darwhekar

The processors have fault logs - please post the fault error details

Do you have a large earth wire connected to the chassis that in turn is connected to a good earth source. ?

Are the processors powered by 110V /230V Ac or are they powered by 24V DC

Hi,
Reading fault log may give you idea what is the exact cause of fault.
Sometimes (rarest of the rare case) some io devices are not powered up alongwith CPU hence powerup fault shows up. Rockwell advised me to upgrade firmware to v20 when I faced similar problem on CompactLogix.
Meanwhile you could clear up the fault by SSV instruction on powerup fault and start all control operations after some delay.

Hi,
Reading fault log may give you idea what is the exact cause of fault.
Sometimes (rarest of the rare case) some io devices are not powered up alongwith CPU hence powerup fault shows up. Rockwell advised me to upgrade firmware to v20 when I faced similar problem on CompactLogix.
Meanwhile you could clear up the fault by SSV instruction on powerup fault and start all control operations after some delay.

Yes, the Logix has both a Power-Up Handler and Controller Fault Handler Routine.

Stu....

Here are the fault codes...

(Type 01) Power-up Fault
(Code 60) Non-recoverable Fault

Fault Information Dump:

Info[0]: f407e664
Info[1]: 000000a6
Info[2]: 00091c44
Info[3]: 00060000

Check the "Non-Volatile Memory" tab of the Controller Properties dialog.

It is possible that the projects are set-up to load the RAM image at power-up, and no such (or a corrupted) image exists.

Check the "Non-Volatile Memory" tab of the Controller Properties dialog.

It is possible that the projects are set-up to load the RAM image at power-up, and no such (or a corrupted) image exists.

Daba,

The problem seems to be related to the image in the non-volatile memory. I had the image in the memory and the load image option was set for "On Power-up". The processor repeatedly went in the Power Fault even after burning the latest image to the non volatile memory. Finally, when I was trying multiple options, I set the load image option to "User Initiated". When I recycled power to the processor after selecting this option, it still went in the fault but now it could store the error log to the memory card. The fault code this time was Type 01, Code 61. After I cleared the fault and recycled the power, the processor did not go in the fault. I had been doing program changes for two days now and have cycled power several times but the fault never seems to come back. Although it seems that setting the load image option to user initiated fixed the problem, I am not able to understand why setting the load image option to on power up caused the controller to go in the power up fault. I had been using this option for a while and it had never been an issue before.

Control Logix L73S -- Major Fault Occurred -- Type 01 Code 62

Hello Everyone,
I am working on Gaurd Logix controller L73S from last 2 Years. But yesterday I faced one fault occurred in controller which cleared the project from Controller i.e. Type 01 code 62.
Can some one help to fix this fault, because this happen every time when I download project to controller. I am struggling with this.
Why this occurs
1. Is there any Program fault?
2. Hardware failure?

Hello Everyone,
I am working on Gaurd Logix controller L73S from last 2 Years. But yesterday I faced one fault occurred in controller which cleared the project from Controller i.e. Type 01 code 62.
Can some one help to fix this fault, because this happen every time when I download project to controller. I am struggling with this.
Why this occurs
1. Is there any Program fault?
2. Hardware failure?

1. No, it is not a program fault. Type 1 Code 62 is a "major, non-recoverable" fault, which cannot be trapped by a Program Fault Handling routine.

2. Most likely.... Code 62 implies that you have an SD card installed, onto which the fault puts debugging info.

Have you read the "Help" on the fault code ?

It suggests clearing the fault, and re-downloading the project to the controller. If the fault recurs, which you say it does, it suggests you contact Rockwell tech support, who can analyse the debug data.

Hello Mr. Daba,
I was working to find the issue in Program. What I found is very strange condition that, I am having an Add-On, if I am using this Add-On in new program causing Fault, also this add-on is using on other location in same PLC program.
Unable to understand issue.

Hello Mr. Daba,
I was working to find the issue in Program. What I found is very strange condition that, I am having an Add-On, if I am using this Add-On in new program causing Fault, also this add-on is using on other location in same PLC program.

Hello Mr. Daba,

I have re-read your original post, and see that you have the same fault on more than one processor, this does indeed indicate something wrong with the program, rather than a hardware failure.

I have an L62, I could take a cursory look to see if I can spot anything. You can send the L61 application... check my avatar for email address.

Out of interest, what version software/firmware are you using ?

We have an 1796-L33ER with simular problems: Major fault 1 code 62 after a power cycle.
As the program is on the SD card, we could reload the program easy, and start up the machine.
But I'm still wondering what could cause this type of problem.
For this problem we updated the firmware of the PLC already to V28, unfortunatelly without any luck...