PLC5/40E to PLC5/30 through 1756 DHRIO

DMarsh

Hello, I'm a new user here. I'm using a PLC5/40E to send & receive messages from a dozen or so outlying PLCs. There mostly PLC5s but a few SLC500s & Controllogix as well. This all now done with tcp/ip. We've recently inheirited another location with a PLC5/30 (seriesE200 rev K2) that is Data Highway. Using a Controllogix rack, 1756 ENBT/A card, 1756 DHRIO/E card setup to bridge. Can get online with the PLC5/30 fine, but having trouble with message statements from PLC5/40E not working. Have twice talked to Rockwell tech support & have either been referred to knowledgebase articles (my eyes glaze over fast..) or have been told that my PLC5/40E revA2 isn't compatible with Controllogix messaging. There are 5 working message statements to Controllogix PLCs now. I've read that a routing table needs to be created in DHRIO card & have tried several variations there as well many variations of multihop message options.
Help this frustrated dude please.

Welcome to the Forum !

To clarify: you want a message instruction to go through this route:

PLC-5/40E -> Ethernet -> 1756-ENBT -> Backplane -> 1756-DHRIO -> DH+ -> PLC-5/30.

RA Technical Support is correct that the firmware revision of the PLC-5/40E is important, because older ones didn't support the CIP Ethernet protocol. It's a different revision for each Series.

Series E, revision D.1 and higher
Series D, revision E.1 and higher
Series C, revision N.1 and higher
All Series F

So your PLC-5/40E must be a Series F, Revision A.2.

Of course, the fact that it's already sending messages to other ControlLogix over Ethernet confirms that it's compatible with CIP protocol.

I believe that this application is going to need a Routing Table in the 1756-DHRIO.

Multi-Hop is going to get you as far as the DHRIO module's slot. After that, the message is going to need to know the Link ID of the DHRIO channel your PLC-5/30 is connected to.

Because this is considered an "off link message", the PLC-5/30 and the DHRIO port it's connected to will have to be configured with the correct Link ID.

I don't think the other DHRIO port or the backplane need to have Link IDs assigned to them. It can't hurt, as long as they are unique.

So let's say that the PLC-5/30 uses DH+ Station Address 5, and Link ID 3. Both of these will be configured in RSLogix 5 for that PLC-5/30.

It connects to the DHRIO Channel A, which is also configured for Link ID 3. That is set up using the utility inside RSLinx Classic.

The MSG instruction will go "multi-hop" from the PLC-5/40 to the 1756-ENBT, to the Slot number of the 1756-DHRIO.

From there, it will be a "Remote" message, with a Destination Link ID = 3 and a Destination Node number of 5.

I don't even have RSLogix 5 installed anymore so I can't tell you exactly what the screens will look like.

I don't know if this will be helpful but I'm in a storytelling mood.

I always used to describe DH+ "link IDs" like Street names.

If you live in house #12, that's great if you never leave your own street. But if you have to go to another street and get back, you need to know not just the house number but also the Street name.

So Link 1 is Oak Street, Link 2 is Maple Street, and Link 3 is Elm Street. The 1756-DHRIO is a big multi-way intersection.

When you tell a "Remote DH+" message how to get to a particular PLC-5 on a particular DH+ network, you tell it "go to the intersection, then to #12 Elm Street".

The intersection is the Multi-Hop CIP Path to the 1756-DHRIO. Elm Street is the Link ID of Channel A. House #12 is the DH+ Node Address of the PLC-5/30 controller.

Many folks when they set up their PLC-5 DH+ networks years ago weren't thinking about off-link messaging so they didn't set up the Link IDs. When you inherit a system that wasn't set up for off-link messaging, it's often necessary to go through and carefully set up Link IDs for all the controllers on DH+.

Welcome to the Forum !

To clarify: you want a message instruction to go through this route:

PLC-5/40E -> Ethernet -> 1756-ENBT -> Backplane -> 1756-DHRIO -> DH+ -> PLC-5/30.

RA Technical Support is correct that the firmware revision of the PLC-5/40E is important, because older ones didn't support the CIP Ethernet protocol. It's a different revision for each Series.

Series E, revision D.1 and higher
Series D, revision E.1 and higher
Series C, revision N.1 and higher
All Series F

So your PLC-5/40E must be a Series F, Revision A.2.

Of course, the fact that it's already sending messages to other ControlLogix over Ethernet confirms that it's compatible with CIP protocol.
thank you for your help, I'm off for a bit more than a week but will try upon returning to work

I believe that this application is going to need a Routing Table in the 1756-DHRIO.

Multi-Hop is going to get you as far as the DHRIO module's slot. After that, the message is going to need to know the Link ID of the DHRIO channel your PLC-5/30 is connected to.

Because this is considered an "off link message", the PLC-5/30 and the DHRIO port it's connected to will have to be configured with the correct Link ID.

I don't think the other DHRIO port or the backplane need to have Link IDs assigned to them. It can't hurt, as long as they are unique.

So let's say that the PLC-5/30 uses DH+ Station Address 5, and Link ID 3. Both of these will be configured in RSLogix 5 for that PLC-5/30.

It connects to the DHRIO Channel A, which is also configured for Link ID 3. That is set up using the utility inside RSLinx Classic.

The MSG instruction will go "multi-hop" from the PLC-5/40 to the 1756-ENBT, to the Slot number of the 1756-DHRIO.

From there, it will be a "Remote" message, with a Destination Link ID = 3 and a Destination Node number of 5.

I don't even have RSLogix 5 installed anymore so I can't tell you exactly what the screens will look like.
Very helpful, I've little experience with DH+ and wonder how to see what the link ID is here. It is running a boiler feedwater plant, a dual rack / dual processor setup from 10+ years ago. I can't power it down because there are maintained contacts keeping pumps going.
How do I discover the link ID?
DHRIO routing table lists DHRIO slot #, then the link ID?, then station address?

Very good analogy! How do I find the link ID? I'm using channel A and assigned node 22 to that port.Link ID wasn't mentioned in the setup.
Thanks for guidance.