serial to parallel converter

johnfarrugi

I'm having an issue trying to connect a 5/05 serial port to a parallel printer. I am currently connected to a serial printer using 2-3,3-2 and 5-5 from plc DB9 to printer DB9. With this configuration, everything works great. So I know the code is correct.
I have the same printer with a parallel port that I need to use in place of the serial printer. I purchased a Serial to Parallel converter from B & B Electronics Model 232SPS2. The converter is set for 9600 baud,Xon/Xoff, 8 data bits, No parity, serial to parallel conversion. The converter is a 25DB connector on the serial side so I wired the PLC to conveter as 2-3, 3-2, 5-7. When I sent the ASCII string the data light blinks on the printer but nothing happens.
Any ideas?

Most likely your serial printer printed each line as it received a <CR> <LF>.

Your parallel printer most likely has a page buffer and will not print until either the page buffer is full or it receives a <FF> (form feed) or Eject character.

Is your parallel printer an inkjet or laser jet or what? Was the serial printer a dot matrix one ?

Most likely your serial printer printed each line as it received a <CR> <LF>.

Your parallel printer most likely has a page buffer and will not print until either the page buffer is full or it receives a <FF> (form feed) or Eject character.

Is your parallel printer an inkjet or laser jet or what? Was the serial printer a dot matrix one ?

The printer is a Zebra label maker. The serial printer is a 105SL and the paralle printer is a 105SE.

I dont have XON/XOFF enabled in the PLC could it be this? Do I need to wire the converter and different if I use Xon/Xoff?

I would recommend it.

Edit - on second thought just get out both manuals and read. With DCE/DTE type configurations in the 25 pin port you will probably get farther by just reading first. - Edit

Last edited:
The manual is unclear!

The PLC is DCE and the Parallee converter is DCE. What are the required pinouts for a 9DB DCE to a 25DB DCE?

Strange - my manual (1747-UM011E-EN-P) says that the serial port on a SLC 5/05 is DTE. Thus table B-2 on page B3 of the manual for your serial to parallel convertor should apply.

you are correct about the swap of the 9 and 25 pins.
i had same problems on different machine.
for the connections do you have a check box
if not check the voltage on 2 and 3 they should be both present.
if paper out the converter will not send anything so flow control is not present anymore. it is only a serial to parallel convereter and any signal back is not converted. only way is serial printer.

I followed the pinouts in the manual and the printer's Data light flashes when I send it a command but nothing happens. I know its not the command I'm sending because if I connect the PLC to a serial printer it works fine. Anyone have experience with a parallel Zebra printer?

Ok, I've tried to figure this out a little more and I've determined that the cables I'm using are correct and working fine. If I create an application in labview to send the following string out of my laptop serial port:

^XA^CF0,40^FO35,50^FD9L14-2450AD^FS^CF0,50^FO35,150^FD33108B^FS^XZ

Using the following port configuration:
COM1
9600 buad
8 data bits
none parity
1 stop bit
no flow control

It works fine. Now if I take the same cables connect it to the same printer and send the same string out of the PLC serial port, I get nothing.
Is the PLC converting the string into a different format? I've check the port setting in the PLC and they are the same as above.

Any one have any suggestion as to what I might be doing wrong?

How do you have your channel 0 user set up in the SLC 5/05?

I would expect that it would be:
Driver: ASCII
Baud: 9600
Parity: None
Stop Bits: 1
Data Bits: 8

No Handshaking
Delete Mode: Ignore

Also, what command are you using to send the string to the serial port?

And, what do the characters look like in your string file?

Paul